THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dirk41

Hello all,

Recently got back into BBQ and was super pumped to see how many well received commerical rubs, glazes, and sauces are available. Love Kosmos, like Meat Church, and looking forward to trying Heath Riles and Killer Hogs. The one thing that had me a little confused with all of these products is that they are incredibly similar. Honey powder is commonplace, the rib glazes are the exact same flavors, and the ingredient lists are almost identical across the board.

The only company that seems to actually make their own rubs themselves is Dizzy Pig. Is there anyone else who has a similar operation? Are the rest the same stuff with different labels?

Oakridge BBQ is incredible. He's a member on this site. I listened to a podcast with him on it and you can hear the passion in the way he explains his craft. You will not be disappointed in any of their products. He sources his own spices and mixes in his facility.

I also really like Malcom Reed's products (Killer Hogs). While he uses a Co-Packer to blend his seasonings, I feel like his products are unique and skillfully crafted.

Those are my two favorites.......

Ed

Thank you! I love Malcolm's videos. The super simple branding is also very appealing as he doesn't try to be anything he is not. I understand everything comes in trends (Tiger Sauce still a thing?) but Malcolm's stuff is very informative and timeless.

Will certainly check out Oakridge. Looks exactly like what I was looking for.

Buttrub; has no sugar or sweeteners.
We like it on ribs with turbinado sugar; I sprinkle the sugar on the ribs and then go back and sprinkle on the Buttrub. It is my wife's favorite on pork chops; no sugar, just grilled.
Also good on chicken.

As mentioned above, not only does Oakridge BBQ make their own rubs; but they make them in small batch weekly runs as ordered, so that the rubs do not sit on the shelf waiting to be purchased.

Another vote for Oakridge!!! Some of the best rubs I have ever tasted, made in the USA and Mike is a member of the Brethren!

I’ll jump on the Oakridge Appreciation Bandwagon, why not? I put Habanero Death Dust on just about everything I smoke, sometimes on grilled stuff too. I use a lot of Dominator & Competition as well.

Hello all,

Recently got back into BBQ and was super pumped to see how many well received commerical rubs, glazes, and sauces are available. Love Kosmos, like Meat Church, and looking forward to trying Heath Riles and Killer Hogs. The one thing that had me a little confused with all of these products is that they are incredibly similar. Honey powder is commonplace, the rib glazes are the exact same flavors, and the ingredient lists are almost identical across the board.

The only company that seems to actually make their own rubs themselves is Dizzy Pig. Is there anyone else who has a similar operation? Are the rest the same stuff with different labels?

Dirk,
Have you tried Dizzy Pigs Pineapple Head? That stuff is amazing on a twice smoked ham!

I am a big fan of Suckle Busters.
Great products and Dan makes all of his own stuff right here in Texas!
:mrgreen:

I'm tempted to try the Oak Ridge sample packets but don't use rubs that often. (Mostly I just use salt, pepper, complete, seasoning, paprika, and other stuff I have hanging around in the spice cabinet.) How long will these commercial rubs last re-sealed in the freezer?

Hello all,

I love Dizzy Pig! Enjoying their Ghost Pepper rub (...in moderation...) as well as Jamaican Firewalk recently. Fresh and vibrant flavors!

There's lots of good rubs out there.. many are used in layers along with other rubs. Oak Ridge rubs are very awesome, very flavorful and not too salty IMO.. so you can layer them if you wish. Sucklebusters are also outstanding.. Hog waller and Hog Waller honey can be used all by itself on pork IMO.

Back