Cochinita Pibil

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Yoeri
Had seen this on the Netflix series Las Cronicas Del Taco last year and gave it a go.
Came out good but needed some tweaking.

By now, we found banana leaves and needed to adjust ttime the meat sits in the marinade.

Made the marinade on Friday evening (orange/lime juice, cumin, achiote paste, salt, pepper, garlic, Mex oregano)
Cut up a few big chuncks of a butt and vacuum sealed them with the marinade.
Let this sit in the fridge for almost 4hours.

Fired up the kettle and put the meat on there with a few chuncks or cherry and oak.
The smell in the garden was great!
Let it smoke for about 3 hours until the meat had developed a nice color and some crust.

Made a nice bundle with the banana leaves to hold the meat and marinade in a big pot.
Put everything in the oven at 275F.
The smell in the kitchen was making us very hungry.
Took another 2,5 hours before the meat was tender.
Removed the leaves, pulled the pork and mixed it all together with the now much thicker marinade.

I think it´s usually served on tacos but we had it with rice.
Added some pickled red onions and pickled jalapenos for some kick.

Although I´ve never tried the real thing, I think I nailed this cook.
The depth of flavor was amazing. The tang of the orange/lime works so well the grease pork.
The misses could not stop talking about how good it was.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Thanks for the kinds words all!

Seems like quite the process but, well worth it by the looks

It´s not a lot of work, making the marinade takes most time.
you could skip the smoking part and just toss it all in the banana leaves and into the oven but that would be no fun, right? :wacko::mrgreen:

Looks incredible! Love that Netflix series - really well done and educational (and good at making you hungry).

It´s one of a few REALLY good food related series on Netflix and quite the inspiration.

Funny you should say that. I was thinking that it looked so good that Johnny Depp just might have to pay LordRiffenstein a visit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbJNatwbXtw

:laugh:

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Back