Christmas Eve prime rib and ham cook in progress

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
We are hosting my wife's side of the family for Christmas tonight. I decided to get both and do a prime rib and a ham. I've always been happy with the Kirkland brand hams so I picked up another this year. The roast is from a place called Sprout's, I would say it's a slightly less expensive version of Whole Paycheck I mean Whole Foods. They had a sale on choice grade bone in rib roasts for $7.xx/lb so I thought I'd try out their beef for the first time, they looked pretty decent in the display case. This one weighed in a little over 8lbs. Trying to feed 15 adults and I think between the cured Spanish carving ham, the spiral sliced ham, and the ribeye roast, we ought to have plenty.

I've been very excited to get and then try the new Oakridge BBQ SPOGOS seasoning, so I thought the rib roast was a good opportunity to give it a whirl. The ham got a mustard slather + Oakridge BBQ Dominator in lieu of the little spiced glaze packet that came with the ham. I think the hint of cinnamon from Dominator will compliment the ham well.

The Primo XL is running around 235*, using Rockwood lump charcoal and some cherry chunks for a hint of smoke. Hoping both are ready to serve in about 4 hours.

Last edited:
Best of luck, you off to a good start. I like Sprouts meats, on sale! I couldn't pass up filets at Costco along with a boneless prime rib roast.

Back