THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sliding_billy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
)
I knew I had to do something for the chicken quarter TD since I chose it :laugh:. I've actually been wanting to do quarters on the Copperhead since I got it. Like the pit, you get a lot for very little money. So 10 ponds of quarters set me back ~$5, and I still had plenty of room in the pit. $0.99 pork butt is another of my budget purchases, so I grabbed a 10 pound butt to add to the fun.

Since it was all a bit of an experiment, the quarters were hit with a light mayo coat and 5 different rubs.

DN2TBau.jpg

hTSR8Ii.jpg

The butt went on before light at 275, and the quarters joined in at around 0900 on the racks above the butt. After the quarters smoked for an hour and a half I wrapped the butt, sauced the chicken, and bumped the temp to 400. Put the wrapped butt back in and let it all ride for another hour or so. Chicken was at 170, and the butt at 200. I love it when a plan comes together. Butt rested for a couple of hours to be used for dinner, and the chicken was ready for lunch.

The chicken was literally served randomly in a foil turkey roaster. The only rub that totally stood out was the garlic salt. Despite varying rub flavors, there was little difference after smoke and sauce. All of them tasted good, and while not trying for bite-through skin all of the skin was tasty and not overly chewy.

CJalEdS.jpg

The butt was rubbed with a combination of Nell's AP topped with Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction. The combination of the chicken marinading the pork combined with the very airy and moist environment of the cooker and a slightly earlier wrap than normal (150) gave the "bark" a very soft and moist texture that my family (especially my wife who dislikes traditional bark on both pork and beef) loved.

KPooD7G.jpg

We were still working on the pulled pork leftovers for lunch yesterday. No sauce on the pulled unless you wanted it yourself. I had to do something sans sauce.

dUHcgXp.jpg

Last edited:
Back