Cheeseburger with Bacon Jam for the TD thread.

CambuiAl

Knows what a fatty is.
So, I have not done a TD before, but I always watch them and enjoy the posts, but this weekend, I cooked cheeseburgers, so am submitting.

I started by making the Bacon Jam on Saturday in my 26cm Deli & Co cast iron skillet, which was to serve as a burger relish.

Rendering the bacon fat:
Whats_App_Image_2017-09-04_at_16.37.45.jpg

Caramelising the onions in some of the left over bacon fat:
Whats_App_Image_2017-09-04_at_16.37.44.jpg

Lightly blitzed into a paste with a quarter cup of sugarcane syrup, a quarter cup of Jack Daniels, a tablespoon of Sherry vinegar, some ground black pepper and a few other bits I threw in for good measure:
Whats_App_Image_2017-09-04_at_16.37.44_1.jpg

Whats_App_Image_2017-09-04_at_16.37.43_1.jpg

I fridge'd this overnight, before making the burgers on Sunday.

I started with the buns - freshly made brioche buns. 500g flour, 20g dry yeast, 80ml milk, 200ml water, 20g sugar, 10g salt, 30g butter, one egg, and one egg to brush the top with yolks. I used a sprinkle of black smoked salt that I bought on a trip to NYC some time ago. This made 8 buns.

The burgers themselves were 125g of acém beef, which is probably 'chuck', pressed into patties with my dual-press, and chilled. I then made some caramelised red onions, and warmed some of the bacon jam in the skillet.

I grilled the patties on my charbroiler, before adding the 'Estepe' cheese, which is apparently of Danish Origins, and then added the onions and bacon jam.
Whats_App_Image_2017-09-04_at_16.37.42.jpg

Having lightly toasted the buns, I mixed some mayonaise with honey mustard and some garlic, which went on the base, with some lettuce on top.

Next came the burger, with the cheese, bacon jam and onions, and followed by the top of the brioche bun, with a small amount of Heinz Ketchup, and I called her done.

Whats_App_Image_2017-09-04_at_16.37.41_1.jpg

I think this is my entry pic:

Whats_App_Image_2017-09-04_at_16.37.40.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd - if the URL are inserted using the insert image function, which adds the
at the end of the URL, and none of them show.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Burgers look great... Took awhile to get through the post:p

Odd - if the URL are inserted using the insert image function, which adds the
at the end of the URL, and none of them show.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I don’t know if you changed anything since posting the above, but I am seeing all of the pictures.

I don’t know if you changed anything since posting the above, but I am seeing all of the pictures.

Many thanks - I changed the hosting site, but also realised that the URL has to be the Direct Link not just the link, and after that, all worked well.

Helped when I read the 'how to post pics' thread :grin:

So does Bourbon and or TN Whiskey taste better in the Rocks Glass after you're done eating the fries or before? :grin:

On a serious note the burger looks fantastic and thanks for sharing your cook, sure looks delicious.

Back