Charcoal Grilled Marinated Flat Iron Steak Thai Salad

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Over the years, I've had some memorable Thai meals, and one that really stands out is a simple salad with fresh greens tossed in a sour/spicy sweet dressing topped with marinated charcoal grilled beef. It's an incredible dish when done right, and I thought I'd give it a try.

First, I started out with some USDA prime Flat Iron beef:

DSC_0768.jpg

I then marinated the beef in a concoction of mirin, rice wine vinegar, garlic, onion, basil, mint, lemongrass, lime juice, Thai Fish sauce, chile paste, hot sesame chile oil, coriander, ginger, and some other stuff:

DSC_0766.jpg

After blending the ingredients, I put the meat in a ziplock so it could marinate overnight.

The next evening, I fired up the Kingsford Oval, and added several chunks of oak:

DSC_0778.jpg

While this was happening, The Missus began work on the dressing, and assembling the green part of the meal, all with ingredients that came from our garden, with the exception of basil. We had radishes, baby cucumbers, grape tomatoes, jalapeno, red onion:

DSC_0803.jpg

The meat went on indirect:

DSC_0784.jpg

After 20 mins, I put the meat on the hot side of the grill to finish, and then pulled when internal temp was 130:

DSC_0798.jpg

All served up, accompanied by an ice cold Singha, one of my favorite beers and a perfect accompaniment to the salad:

DSC_0804.jpg

DSC_0805.jpg

DSC_0808.jpg

It was delicious!

Last edited:
Back