Charcoal Chimney Starter Face-Off Broil King 63980 vs @WeberGrills 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter

captjoe06

Full Fledged Farker
Reposted from my BBQ Blog-
This is intended to show with tape ruler, digital scale and photographs some of the differences between the [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KA36G7I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
It should be noted that the Weber unit has been used at our lobster dock since last May and the Broil King Unit just arrived.
Firstly, the Broil King cost $26.99 at the time of purchase and here are the details as listed on Amazon-
broilking.jpg

• Heavy duty all stainless steel design
  • High density resin handle
  • Lights up to two pounds of charcoal without starter fluid
  • The venturi effect will light the charcoal within five to ten minutes

The Weber Rapidfire Chimney Starter cost $14.99 and here are teh details as listed on Amazon-

41op98ZacWL._SL210_.jpg

• Chimney starter system lights charcoal quickly and evenly
  • Made from aluminized steel with a stay-cool thermoplastic handle
  • Holds enough briquettes for a 22-1/2-inch kettle grill
  • Cone bottom ensures a fast start; eliminates need for lighter fluid
  • Measures 7-1/2 by 7-1/2 by 12 inches
Opening and using a new bag of Kingsford briquettes for uniformity.
2016-03-19-06-03-53.jpg

Physical characteristics- The Broil King is shorter, it also has a slight taper to widen just a bit at the top. The Weber seems like it would have more air flow with the wire rings. the Weber also has the hinged handle which when extended will keep your steadying hand further away from the hot coals. They both are well built and sturdy.
2016-03-19-06-05-50.jpg
2016-03-19-06-06-35.jpg

The Broil King weighs significantly less- 2.15 lbs vs 3.5 lbs for The Weber
2016-03-19-06-08-35.jpg
2016-03-19-06-08-18.jpg

Filling each starter with exactly 4.6 lbs of charcoal the Weber can hold slightly more than the Broil King (not very significantly more but there is a little more space at the top, probably an additional 6 briquettes.
2016-03-19-06-25-58.jpg
2016-03-19-06-11-02.jpg

The extended hinged secondary handle on The Weber extends further than the Broil King- 7.25 inches vs 4.5 inches.
2016-03-19-06-29-49.jpg

2016-03-19-06-31-17.jpg

Conclusion:
The Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter is a little over half the cost of the Broil King [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KA36G7I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame] . It is heavier, it holds slightly more charcoal, it has more space for air to flow upward to start the charcoal and it has the secondary hinged handle which help to control the chimney when its full of hot coals.
Some things I like about the Broil King is that it is stainless. I'm not sure if it will hold up better than the Weber over time but at almost twice it's cost I doubt you would get almost twice as long with it. Maybe you could though. I also like that the holes in the bottom which are shaped like flames are large enough that you could stick the end of a long lighter into completely whereas on the Weber you have to lift the chimney with one hand and light it from underneath.

For the money I'd purchase the Weber as you could almost afford two for the same price as the Broil King and I don't see enough significant features that would make it worth almost double the price. In fact The Weber is a little heavier and can hold slightly more charcoal.

Last edited:
Nice comparison. I would like to see which would burn quicker if you put 1 starter cube in each. I have never used the hinged handle on my starter.

I like the idea of a rolled lip on the Broil King. That is one thing I have always noticed about the weber, how easy it was for it to lose its shape at the top.

Good information. Thank you.

The Weber really is worth the money. My buddy was so proud of the chimney he got at his local grocery store for $5, while I "stupidly" spent 3x more on my Weber. We smoked one day, took me 20 mins to light my chimney, took 45 for his. Hope that savings is worth it for him every time he grills/smokes.

Aluminized steel is more corrosion resistant than carbon steel, as long as the outer surface is not disturbed too much. (Of course stainless has the advantage of being resistant all the way through.) But aluminized steel is supposed to reflect heat even better than stainless, an obvious advantage in this application.

I believe the Weber is made with a aluminum/silicon alloy, and it's the silicon which causes the black spotting--but this isn't supposed to affect its performance.

Great post, love my weber chimneys bought five of them when wallymart was clearing em out $7 a peace, will have enough till i pass through the great bbq gates above:loco:. Anyway problem I have with the webers is starting small amounts of charcoal for say snake or minion method, just a little more work! I noticed charbroil came out with a new one, shorter, holes on the bottom and slits along the sides looks like that might help. Has anyone tried one yet?

For starting small amounts of charcoal with the Weber, just turn it upside down, place your briquettes in the small end where the starting paper normally goes and put your paper in the other end. It works like a champ. I have been doing this for years when I need just a few lit briquettes during a long cook.

Chimney.jpg

For someone using starter cubes or such, which don't have the reach of newspaper--and who wants to start a small number of coals, this works well:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7447-Compact-Rapidfire-Chimney/dp/B009IH0ICG"]Amazon.com : Weber 7447 Compact Rapidfire Chimney Starter : Charcoal Starters : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41LTGgg-MaL.@@AMEPARAM@@41LTGgg-MaL[/ame]

Very nice comparison review. Posts like this is why I love this place so much......Well one of the reasons :becky:

Back