Can a whole brisket be used for burnt ends??

Jlems

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Justin
We have a tailgate on Sunday. Burnt ends are easier than slices, and who doesn’t love em?? If I cook a whole brisket, it seems like I could halve the flat horizontally and then cube, and make larger cubes with the point. Anyone done this?

Sure. They will be 'cubes' and not necessarily 'burnt ends' (from a barbecuist point of view).... but wonderful at a tailgate. Are you going to make them the day before?

You could take the brisket and boat it at 160 and chop the whole thing. And make sliders.

Sure. They will be 'cubes' and not necessarily 'burnt ends' (from a barbecuist point of view).... but wonderful at a tailgate. Are you going to make them the day before?

I really wish "burnt ends" wouldn't have caught on as the name for what is being described here. Sure the sauced cubes are good and a worthwhile endeavor, but they aren't burnt ends.

I really wish "burnt ends" wouldn't have caught on as the name for what is being described here. Sure the sauced cubes are good and a worthwhile endeavor, but they aren't burnt ends.

Yep yep true. So much better sounding than sauced cubes though :-D

True not textbook burnt ends. Going to cook Saturday and into a pan for Sunday. Rub and sauce at the tailgate on the grill to caramelize a bit. I figure that can’t suck!

Well, they did catch on........... These are 20th century burnt ends. 21st century burnt ends are a little different.

x0oSayJ.jpg

I do it all the time. We slice what we eat one the day of the cook and the next day I cube up the rest of the point and flat and make "burnt ends" The wife picks out the firmer ones (flat) but, it's all good and gets eaten quickly

I’ve been to several BBQ joints claiming to have burnt ends and was served cubes from the flat. The grain is tighter on the flat, more dry, and much less collagen…

Well they turned out fantastic. Plenty of happy people and I really like the way these are easily eaten, without needing a plate. Cubed the flat and the point, with each piece separated so that everything had at least one side of bark. Perfect tailgate or party food. Will definitely do again.

Attachments

• 5BDDEA2C-30ED-4D12-9CF2-5854F34B77B7.jpg
    5BDDEA2C-30ED-4D12-9CF2-5854F34B77B7.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 128
Glad it worked out for you. The flat obviously doesn't have the fat, but I am sure they are tasty. I have done burnt ends from chuck roast as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

First time to have burnt ends was at the 2016 SoCal Bash. Neil (Bigmista) cubed the entire brisket and they were mighty tasty even if they weren't "official" burnt ends.

Back