Camp Parks Feed, 2014, NorCal Brethren

Out-Farking-Standing!

As one who still serves today, I can only imagine the appreciation and excitement felt by those hard working men and women (and their supportive families) who came to partake. Heck, moreover, the food you folks dished out looks incredible!

I'm mesmerized by Leonard's pit on wheels (looks like something more along the lines of what we'd use to cook a whole hog in North Carolina)!

The Brethren continue to amaze me with generosity of time, expertise, and material contributions.

Many thanks to you all,
Shadow Driver
A note about Leonard and his pit...lots of folks talk about Santa Maria BBQ, there is a family, the Minetti's, who define the style, and who have kept the traditions alive since the late 1950's, Leonard worked as a hand on their ranch and learned to cook from them. That is a real Santa Maria pit, the kind that came to the fore in the late 1950's.

The Minetti's owned The Far Western Tavern, the high end of Santa Maria BBQ, and a worthy place to visit if you ever come to California. Leonard was telling me, that my favorite place, Jocko's might soon be releasing their own brand of rub. The Suzy Q's rub we used, also traces it's origins to the Minetti family. It was fun to see this cook take shape.

A note about Leonard and his pit...lots of folks talk about Santa Maria BBQ, there is a family, the Minetti's, who define the style, and who have kept the traditions alive since the late 1950's, Leonard worked as a hand on their ranch and learned to cook from them. That is a real Santa Maria pit, the kind that came to the fore in the late 1950's.

The Minetti's owned The Far Western Tavern, the high end of Santa Maria BBQ, and a worthy place to visit if you ever come to California. Leonard was telling me, that my favorite place, Jocko's might soon be releasing their own brand of rub. The Suzy Q's rub we used, also traces it's origins to the Minetti family. It was fun to see this cook take shape.

I had an uncle that lived in Nipomo - my Dad used to take us up to visit a couple of times a year when I was a kid, and I recall some wonderful meals at both the Far Western Tavern and Jocko's as well. It was my uncle that introduced Tri-Tip to my Dad, and he used to bring a whole cooler of them back, before they were readily available in SoCal.

Great work all, proud to be part of a group of folks that work do this kind of thing! Wordering is we should start a go-fund-me thingy to get that boy some tires:razz:

Thanks to you Dave, and to all of our sponsors.

Something went wrong with that tire, it was not that old, it just came apart. Inside walls of the tire were bubbles up badly, I suspect manufacturing defect

That trough that the DO's full of cobbler are being cooked in - is that something that can be found easily or is that a custom fab type deal? Very cool & something I didn't know I needed till I saw the pic. I always knew and will always know I need cobbler though.

That trough that the DO's full of cobbler are being cooked in - is that something that can be found easily or is that a custom fab type deal? Very cool & something I didn't know I needed till I saw the pic. I always knew and will always know I need cobbler though.
Leonard had it made, it is quite heavy, two man operation to move it. It is made to guard pavement from the heat of the charcoal, so, heavy gauge steel all the way around. And it is pretty sweet.

And Greg, did you take a close look at that shovel like tool for the coals, that thing was pretty cool

gtr Greg We made that firebox trough to cook in places where we could not simply put coals on the ground. It is not really heavy, one man can move it, but it is bulky for one man as the handles are on the ends. Many dutch oven cooks make small metal "dutch oven" tables to cook on. If only 1 or 2 dutch ovens are being used, then "Disc Blades" off of farming equipment make good "dutch oven" stands, and they take up little space, and transport easily. Let me know your usage ideas and I can send pics of different tools Leonard Sanders Chuck Wagon BBQ Co

^^^Right now I only have a couple DO's, but I did and event a couple weekends back and was using DO's in rotation to serve beans and really liked how that worked vs. chafing dishes. Since I won't be going more than a couple/few, the disc blades sound like a great way to go. That said - that trough is badass! There could be a day in the future where I'd be using 4 or more, and the trough would probably be a good thing then.

Back