CAB Choice Tri-Tip

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Terry
I was at HEB last weekend and saw a select Tri-Tip that looked ok, but I decided to go ask the butcher if they had any Choice or better. He came back with a big hunk of meat in a vacuum sealed pouch that had the CAB labeling all over it. He ended up cutting this almost three pounds, mostly trimmed, Tri-Tip off it for me. I threw it in fridge and planned to do it up Wednesday night. Well, life happened and I knew I wasn't going to be able to cook it Wednesday night, so I finished the trim job, doused it with a little W-Sauce, hit it with some SPOG, and vacuum sealed it up.

IMG_1211_zpsbysq13y6.jpg

Friday came and I finally got a chance to throw some smoke on it. Wanted to keep it low and slow, so I used a torch to start five briquettes and then added them to the mostly full SnS. Let that get up to temp and blowing TBS, threw some cherry chunks on top, and the meat on the grate.

IMG_1223_zps7kd9pwcz.jpg

About an hour later, I flipped it over. I have found with the SnS and the DnG, the bottom side doesn't get the same amount of heat as the top.

IMG_1224_zpsmcgd2mpy.jpg

Temp was holding nice and steady...

IMG_1226_zpsqgqhp9m1.jpg

When it got to about 117* internal, I seared it over the SnS, flipping it every couple of minutes until it had a nice char and the IT was about 135*. Pulled it off, put it on a plate and let it rest in the microwave for about 15 minutes.

IMG_1229_zps1538i1rt.jpg

Sliced up and we had a it with some tater tots and a Habanero Lime Crema.

IMG_1230_zpsvegiyp3m.jpg

IMG_1228_zpsnubfvxgr.jpg

What was left over, I put in a Ziploc bag with the juices from the plate. The next day, I went to slice up some for a nice sandwich. The second best reason to make a Tri-Tip! Just look at that marbling!

IMG_1246_zpsih7zvhjd.jpg

Smeared some of that Crema on both sides and added thin layers of meat and Monterrey Jack Cheese. It was great, but I swear that Crema got hotter over night.

IMG_1247_zpsgngrpimh.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind one of those sandwiches for lunch today. :thumb:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Looks delicious and cooked to perfection. :thumb: :thumb:

And as good as the first meal of meat is, the left over meat for sammies is one of my favorite reasons to cook Tri-Tip.

Guess I'm not alone in loving the cold sandwich the next day. Tri-Tip and Meatloaf. Always better a day later to me...

Back