Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Waffles

BBQ Bacon

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dean
I have seen way too many people making chicken and waffles and I was feeling left out. So we got some boneless, skinless chicken thighs marinating in buttermilk, cayenne, paprika, hot sauce, garlic and onion powder and black pepper.

The dredge was pancake batter, S&P, cayenne, garlic and onion powder, and a few tablespoons of the marinade.

Buttermilk-Fried-Chicken-Thighs-2.jpg

Let it sit for a few minutes as the oil come up to temp on the gasser.

Buttermilk-Fried-Chicken-Thighs-3.jpg

While the chicken was frying, the waffles were being made and thrown onto the warming rack in the grill to stay hot.

Buttermilk-Fried-Chicken-Thighs-4.jpg

Then it was time to assemble.

Buttermilk-Fried-Chicken-Thighs-5.jpg

The topping was Frank's Redhot Wing sauce and maple syrup.

Buttermilk-Fried-Chicken-Thighs-1.jpg

They could have been more crispy (maybe the oil wasn't hot enough) but this combination was soooo good. Can't wait to do it again.

Dang Dean!! That is some great southern cooking from the great white north! Absolutely amazing!

Dusting the chicken with baking soda before dredging will make the crust adhere better.
Ed
P.S. minus the waffles, and cooked over wood or charcoal, did you know that is an allowable chicken entry in KCBS?

Dusting the chicken with baking soda before dredging will make the crust adhere better.
Ed
P.S. minus the waffles, and cooked over wood or charcoal, did you know that is an allowable chicken entry in KCBS?

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try the baking soda next time. I will be trying this over wood fire at some point I'm sure.

Ed

I may have made a mistake on baking soda idea, baking soda is used with egg white to "velvet" proteins for stir frying.
There is a toss up between baking powder and corn starch use for sticking batter to proteins better.
Oops.
Ed

Back