Bubba Keg Refurb

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
With the recent refurb I posted of the free Weber 18" Kettle, it was time to make a decision as to the fate of the Bubba Keg. Chris took the cracked Bayou Classic Cypress off my hands and Bubba's fate also hung in the balance.

Ditch it? Offer it for sale at a cheap price? Fix it?

I first offered it to Chris, but I think he has enough to do fixing the BC. So I took Bubba apart and it wasn't looking that bad until I saw the rust though in the bottom exterior. At first I was going to dump it, but I've had the Bubba Keg since 2010 and it's been my go to cooker until last year when the Golden's Cast Iron was purchased. So it's mostly sat idle for a year with only a few cooks on it during that time.

Some before pics -

Bubba exterior, has lost a lot of its luster through the years -

Interior, not all that bad -

Fire ring, not bad either -

Stand -

Bottom exterior perforation, under the vent -

What to do? I was about ready to dump it, but decided to try repairing it. I figured I owed it at least that much since I've had it for so many years and it's been an excellent Kamado.

Rebuild pics -

Stand, after some work with an angle grinder and painted -

I picked up some aluminum and fabricated a panel to fit under the vent. Sure, working in stainless steel might have been better but I don't have the means to bend it and work with it so aluminum was the choice. It doesn't get that hot under the Keg, we'll see how it holds up.

Some metal fabrication. Two pieces of aluminum, one which goes under the bottom interior and is formed to allow water to drain outside the Keg rather than into the Keg. The other just to cover the rusted holes which are also patched with JB Weld high heat material.

Both pieces riveted in place -

It ain't the prettiest patch, but most of it is either under the Keg where it can't be seen or behind the vent screen.

Lid, with base coat of high temp bbq paint. Bubba is being painted black to match the Weber and the Golden's -

Final coat of high temp auto enamel -

And it's back together and ready to grill -

I'm waiting for the arrival of Nomex gasket material tomorrow from amazon. I'll give the felt gasket a try on the lid and base instead of the original oven gasket which was only attached to the lid (and only available from Broil King).

Anyway, that's it. The Bubba Keg is still part of my grilling arsenal. Hopefully the patch will hold and I can get a few more years out of it.

Thanks for checking out this thread.

-Dom

Thanks all for the kind words.

One of the members in the Big Steel Keg forum noted that my use of dissimilar metals (aluminum vs. steel) may lead to further corrosion, which is something I hadn't considered. However, this isn't a piece of equipment where my repair might result in some life threatening consequences. If it hastens the Keg's demise, so be it. My intent was to get the Keg back to a usable state where it looks decent and isn't an eyesore in my backyard.

-Dom

In preparation for the Nomex gasket, I needed to clean the lid and base surfaces.

To get the surface clean, I used the same method I used to clean up the Weber kettle I recently acquired - a razor blade. Like the Weber, I believe the Keg interior is porcelain so it's not going to scratch. Here are some pics of the surfaces. The lid was a lot easier to work on since it's been protected by the gasket all these years.

Scraping away -

Mostly done, even managing to clean up the rivets with the razor -

Complete -

I'll go over the surfaces with some rubbing alcohol to get them completely clean so the gasket will adhere properly.

A closeup of the vent repair -

As an fyi, that's a #12 x 3/4" Stainless Steel Pan Head screw holding the vent in place. I plan to add some JB Weld Hi Temp Sealant between the vent edge and the aluminum to prevent water from seeping back in under the vent. I noticed with the rain we had here in Massachusetts overnight the vent was wet on the inside.

I also splurged and ordered an official Broil King Keg cover for Bubba. After all my hard work I may as well keep it looking good.

So, that's it. One Bubba Keg restoration which should allow a few more years of service.

-Dom

Final post on this refurb (I hope). The next post on the Bubba Keg should be a regular grilling topic, perhaps this weekend. I need to let the gasket set for about 24 hours before I fire it up again.

I sealed the bottom vent a lot better which should allow any water to run outside the Keg rather than inside between the two layers -

New high heat gasket installed -

Three Amigos -

Thanks for following along on this refurb. The Keg looking so shabby was bugging the heck out of me. It's good to get this repair out of the way and get the Keg looking decent once again.

Regards,
-lunchman

Back