Brisket or Chuck?

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Mik
Smoked my first chuck yesterday. Absolutely delicious tender, lean slices. Much shorter, easier cook. No trimming, just dry brine it and go. Much less fuel. Easier to find.

One would think I would give up brisket forever. Logical, eh?

But...it..just...wasn't...brisket. Somehow it just wasn't as special. Objectively measured, this chuck was better than any brisket I have turned out.

So why do I think or feel this way? Anyone else? Is it because brisket was my first real love in BBQ? Is it the ritual of the long cook? The taste?(which is a little different)

I don't know. Anyone else feel this way, or differently?

It's the ritual. Brisket is a labor of love. It's the first thing I was taught to smoke so it's got deep family ties for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you like chuck, try clod...

My extended family is split, half brisket vs half chuck. Myself, I like brisket for special occasions and chuck for routine eating.

Could it be the price has some to do with it. In your head you might be thinking how did I get this 15 dollar roast to taste better than that 75 dollar brisket. that 75 dollar brisket should be way better than that roast.

I remember when briskets were less than 15 dollars.

Definitely prefer brisket. Even when smoked, chuck still tastes like a pot roast to me. And in my experience, it's harder to cook than brisket. It won't get tender until it's cooked as dry as the Sahara dust. Might have something to do with the fact that it's a much smaller piece of meat. And on top of all that, brisket usually costs less on a per pound basis.

I enjoy smoking a brisket- but it's not my favorite thing to eat. A couple of slices and I'm done- the rest can get chopped up for chili, or tacos, or pizza or...but just sitting and gorging on slices of brisket? /nahh- pass.

I'd just as soon do a chuck roast - I don't have to bust out a "big" cooker- I can do it on a 14" mini wsm or my 30 gallon uds. I like the results- I will wrap and braise at a certain point- it is a bit leaner- I roll with it. And it may very well end up being a pot roast- no shame in that. Smoked chuck /post roast is one of my favorite things in the world. Yep chuck roast ain't brisket- nothing else is either- and I'm ok with that.

Brisket is the go to for smoking because it was a lesser meat and now it still is but it turns out very good... A chuck roast is a totally different flavor profile and has its place but around here its 6.00/lb vs 2.45/lb for brisket.....

Try throwing 2hrs of smoke on a brisket and then souis vide at 143f for 30hrs!!!! you can sear in the end on a 600F webber with CI plates! Keep the juice in the SV bag and make a rich mushroom gravy

Brisket is the go to for smoking because it was a lesser meat and now it still is but it turns out very good... A chuck roast is a totally different flavor profile and has its place but around here its 6.00/lb vs 2.45/lb for brisket.....

Try throwing 2hrs of smoke on a brisket and then souis vide at 143f for 30hrs!!!! you can sear in the end on a 600F webber with CI plates! Keep the juice in the SV bag and make a rich mushroom gravy

Brisket is that low in Virginia? Using chuck in the restaurant some now as it's been steady and brisket continues to climb.

It's called a chopped beef sandwich because, well it is.

Every cut has its own special place, and always subject to the desire of the cook.
Brisket is: the challenge, the work, the time and taking a difficult piece of meat and making it special.

Chuck is: easy cook,shorter cook time, a wholesome flavor.

What you want at the moment is what matters.

The choice here has been, about $12 for a nice chuck or $45+ for a choice brisket. I just can't justify that much $ there's not much difference in the actual eat, but that's just me.

The choice here has been, about $12 for a nice chuck or $45+ for a choice brisket. I just can't justify that much $ there's not much difference in the actual eat, but that's just me.

I think your tricking your mind to justify your wallet.

Knee jerk reaction is no way you can come close to the eating experience of a well-marbled brisket using a chuck. If you could every BBQ restaurant in the country would be smoking chuck. That being said I need to smoke one just to try it though.

Party of the issue for me, is the availability of full packers here in this part of the country. Flats are readily available. But what's the point without the point?

Brisket 100%. It’s the dance. Learning proper trim, long cook, knowing how to spot a perfect brisket cook by feel alone, then final redemption with perfect slices that pass all tests. It took a bunch of cooks to be consistent on smoking briskets, so it’s a point of pride. I can also eat pounds of it without getting tired of eating.

A few years ago I came across some threads where people were starting to smoke chucks after brisket prices went way up. I tried one, and i have been sold.

Since then i maybe have smoked 1 brisket, and even then i separated the flat and the point because of cooking variations. Even with the added fat of the point, i still prefer a smoked chuck instead. Not only is it cheaper, but its extremely easy to prepare and work with, shorter cooking times, no hard fat to cut, just all flavor and good marbling.

I've never really liked most sliced brisket (unless you get into the SRF / Creekstone grades), so its been a easy decision.

I still haven't exclusively smoked a chuck yet but I did a combination smoke and sous vide with a chuck a few times and that turned out unbelievable. honestly don't know why I don't do it more. Might have something to do with the ritual not being the same as with brisket. As others have mentioned.

Back