Brisket injection?

Steve68

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Steve
Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

Quick question - what are your thoughts on injecting briskets? I've only done a handful of briskets so far and injected about half of them (just with beef broth mixed with some rub), but couldn't notice a difference between those and the ones that weren't injected? Wondering if it's worth the trouble? Thanks for your thoughts!

I inject with a similar injection and I retain the juices, which I dunk the slices in before serving. In my experience I get the best results when I inject 8-12 hours prior to cooking to allow for the injection to actually marinate the meat internally. I'll cook the briskets naked until I get a good bark, and then wrap and put in a pan to so I can keep all that lovely au jus.

Injection is not necessary, it does not make the brisket juicer, but it can lend some good flavor to the meat. Where I'm at getting prime is pretty much not in the cards, so I'm cooking mostly Choice, so I try to give those "lower grade" briskets just about all the help I can give them.

I go with a beef base / Worcestershire sauce injection and it comes out quite tasty.

I usually just eat brisket but if I really needed a brisket fix, I might consider an injection...:wink:

I’m a no. But I also enjoy experimenting. Lots of the celebrity cooks do it. Must be something about it that works

I like the Minor’s Beef Base and Au jus combo from time to time. I’ve also used Kosmo’s and Butcher injections before on competition style cooks. I don’t think it’s necessary for properly cooked “eating barbecue”, but it might help slightly if you miss the texture target or overcook or something.

If you're going to inject your brisket, I would recommend using a commercial injection containing phosphates which helps the meat fibers retain moisture. I also have better results injecting and letting it sit overnight before smoking. My personal favorites are Butcher's Prime Injection, Kosmos Q, and Meat Church injection.

Just a word of warning, when you first mix the injection powder with water or beef broth it foams up a little bit and smells funky, this is normal! Dave Bouska from Butcher BBQ saves drippings from one brisket cook to mix with his injection powder on the next cook. Must work for him as he won The Jack GC last year.

Last edited:
I inject with a similar injection and I retain the juices, which I dunk the slices in before serving. In my experience I get the best results when I inject 8-12 hours prior to cooking to allow for the injection to actually marinate the meat internally. I'll cook the briskets naked until I get a good bark, and then wrap and put in a pan to so I can keep all that lovely au jus.

Injection is not necessary, it does not make the brisket juicer, but it can lend some good flavor to the meat. Where I'm at getting prime is pretty much not in the cards, so I'm cooking mostly Choice, so I try to give those "lower grade" briskets just about all the help I can give them.

I go with a beef base / Worcestershire sauce injection and it comes out quite tasty.

Thanks for sharing this, especially about injecting 8-12 hours before the cook to let the meat marinate. I hadn't thought of that - the times i had tried injecting in the past, I did it right before the cook. I'll have to try out your method and see if it makes a difference. (I generally use choice as well).

I like to inject with a small amount of commercial injection. my current favorite is genie's elixir from simply marvelous. I inject half the recommended amount at half the strength. works for me, it may not be necessary but it's just part of the process that works for me.

Here is my early brisket injection and beef aujus:

1 14 oz can Beef Consume
1 packet Lipton Beefy Onion Soup (dry mix)
1-1/2 of the soup can cold water
5 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 splashes of Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
2 teaspoon Herb-OX beef bullion
2 teaspoons Montreal Steak rub
1 teaspoon Smokin’ Guns Rub**
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
MSG optional

Bring ingredients to a low simmer in a saucepan, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Try to avoid having the liquid come to a boil. Additional water can be added if flavors are too strong, or if liquid gets too thick. AuJus is a thin table sauce, NOT a gravy. Pour through strainer to remove the onions and coarse pieces from the Montreal Steak rub. Serve warm. For injecting make a day ahead and allow to chill. Bring out of fridge about an hour before injecting.

----------

Minor's Beef Base and Minor's Beef AuJus is another favorite and super easy to make. I also chill this down before injecting.

----------

In the last two years I've tested Kosmos Reserve Blend Brisket Injection and Big Poppa Smokers Cattle Prod Beef and Brisket Injection. Both have phosphate which helps retain moistness, and various soy products and beef flavorings which add to the 'umami'. The BPS injection also has rendered beef fat and by a small margin is my current favorite.

I messed with them when I was first learning to smoke briskets but haven’t done it in years. Now I just use a simple rub and I prefer how my briskets come out now much better than the early briskets I was injecting.

I'm hit and miss when it comes to injections. When I go commercial it's usually from Butcher BBQ or Kosmos but lately I've tried some of the LC BBQ stuff (which I learned about from Texas Style BBQ on YouTube - Chef Johnny - great guy - great channel). When I go homemade, its beef broth and kosher salt and pepper. Does it matter? Man, I don't know. The variance between packers big enough that I can't say 100%. Usually determined by my mood, phase of the moon, what I have on hand. Let me say this - not having or being interested in injecting doesn't cause me to cancel or delay a brisket cook.

Commercial injections are typically saltier and contain phosphates. Salt will add flavor to the meat and the phosphates help make it a little juicier. Some have beef flavoring added which is fine up to a point. It can be too roasty tasting for some. Very subjective at this point.

Back