Bradford Pear Trees

mattmountz94

Babbling Farker
I have a few Bradford Pear trees that I have been cutting down in my yard. Has anyone ever used the wood from these to smoke with?

Ornamental trees are just as suited for smoking as the fruit bearing varieties. Pear wood is similar to apple. It has a nice smoke flavor and adds a hint of sweetness to your pork and poultry, yet mild enough for fish and other light flavored game birds.

They are very susceptible to storm damage and most of the limbs are small enough that they will not have to be split.

Here is an older thread from others....
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52208

Last edited:
A girl that I work with swears by Bradford Pear for smoking. She is the only one I have ever heard that uses it. Hey if it works go for it I reckon.

I got some bradford pear from a guy that lives across from our shop. I had it laying on the rack to dry and thought, why not, so I threw a couple of splits on Thanksgiving day. Man, does it burn hot. My smoker jumped from 275 to 350* in a matter of minutes. With this knowledge, I will probably use it for chunks instead of splits.

I have used it with good results also, like others have said, a mild smoke like many other fruit woods.

Back