Bottoms-Up Smoked Meatloaf

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
John
Meatloaf is one of those familiar childhood dishes to most of us, so what happens when you take it to the next level?

You get this; A Cherry Wood Smoked Meatloaf, covered with a Garlic Jack cheese and has a caramelized onion crust
:hungry:

Ingredients

2 lbs Ground Beef (I used Grass Fed)
1 lb Ground Pork
1 Onion (cut into slivers)
1 cup (crushed) Tortilla chips/Corn Chips/Crackers (I used GF Crackers because my wife has a gluten intolerance)
1 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbs crushed garlic
1 Tbs Naturiffic Sea Salt
1 wedge Garlic Monterey Jack cheese (1/2 grated to go in the meatloaf and other 1/2 grated to go on top)
1 square foil pan (9x9x2)

Combine the first 5 ingredients and half the cheese. After this is mixed, put into foil pan even it out. Now spread the onions out across the top of the meatloaf and then season over the onions liberally with the sea salt and some fresh cracked pepper.

You should end up with something like this

You want to take something flat and mash the onions down, so they sink down into the meatloaf a little. I used a small cutting board. This is an important step, because this will become the bottom of your meatloaf and if the onions are pressed into the meat well, they will adhere better later.
Cover pan tightly with a piece of foil.

I used my Weber Performer with charcoal baskets. In the bottom of the charcoal basket I added some Cherry wood chunks and then once the charcoal was hot in the chimney, I added the hot coals on top and set the charcoal baskets on either side of grill (indirect cooking). I targeted 250-275F during most of the cook, higher towards the end.

Once the grill is set-up, you want to place the meatloaf on the center of the grill (you can leave foil on top, or remove it so the top gets some color & smoke, but you will have to put foil back on before moving to next step) and let it cook for about 20 minutes. This will cause the meatloaf to shrink away from the sides of the pan just a little, so when you do the next step....flip it over, so it is Bottom-up, the pan will slide off easier.

Just prior to flipping over, notice how meat has pulled away from pan a bit

Make sure foil is tight on pan (pan will be hot) very carefully flip the pan over, so that the side you foiled is now laying on the grill. Carefully remove the foil from around the edges of the foil pan, and carefully lift off the foil pan.

Ta da! You have Bottoms-up Meatloaf...now glaze, baby glaze.

Note how there is no color on the top (was the bottom), this is all getting ready to change.

Let the meatloaf cook another 30 minutes, then it is time to glaze the meatloaf.

Glaze

1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 Tbs Soy sauce
1 Tbs Honey
Combine with a whisk

With glaze added

Once the glaze has set some, it is time to add the rest of the grated cheese on top....keep adding...there you go.

This is what it looked like right after I took it off, before I sliced it.

Garlic Jack Cheese on top and glaze has given it a nice color on the outside. Oh yea..and it has caramelized onions on the bottom!

It was served with Asparagus (slightly overcooked for my taste) and Smoked Mac & Cheese (was also on Weber)

The meatloaf was tender, juicy and had a superb flavor.

Looks delicious, I'm going to have to try that. I've done smoked meatloaf a few times, but it's been in the pan. I love the idea of flipping it after it's partially cooked so it holds together.

I LOVE smoked meatloaf! Although childhood meatloaf memories aren't so good. Sorry mom, RIP, you're meatloaf sucked!

I'm a connoisseur of smoked meatloaf. It is in the top five of my family's favorite things from the smoker. I will save this awesome recipe for my next meatloaf cook. Thanks John!

I'm a connoisseur of smoked meatloaf. It is in the top five of my family's favorite things from the smoker. I will save this awesome recipe for my next meatloaf cook. Thanks John!

Let us know how it turns out if you do.

I always form my meatloaf in mini loaf pans and put them back in the frig to firm up. I then flip them out upside down onto a sheet pan just before cooking, then onto the grill naked until they hit 165 deg. You definitely need a drip pan, but the whole meatloaf soaks up the smoke. I just did four this way the other day, one for dinner and three for the freezer. Just the right size to thaw out for a meal, plus a couple of sandwiches.

Back