THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huh? What?

is one Smokin' Farker
Stopepd by the local Sprouts two weeks ago and found two cryo-paks of bone-in pork shoulder for $0.99 a pound. Normally, they don't stock the whole cryo-paks. Grabbed them both and took home a skosh over forty pounds of bone-in pork shoulder. Rubbed up one twenty pound bag immediately, and stuck the other in the freezer. I'd have done both, but I didn't have the refrigerator room for the meat to sit in after rubbing, or the smoker space to smoke that much.

I rubebd it with a mix of Costco's Sweet Mesquite seasoning, garlic powder, kosher salt, onion powder and brown sugar.

Post-rub, after sitting in the refrigerator for three days...

The bigger hunk...

IMG_1204-small_zpsol6aecp9.jpg

The smaller hunk...

IMG_1205-small_zpssvkiacnf.jpg

Post smoke using chunk oak charcoal and mesquite chips...

IMG_1206-small_zpsatn2f6cc.jpg

IMG_1210-small_zpszc1annfz.jpg

The bone just pulled right out...

IMG_1213-small_zps1pgmpi1a.jpg

It all went back to chill over night. I pulled it all the next day. Post pull, I had twelve pounds of pulled pork, which got vacuum packed and put in the deep freeze.

The other twenty pounds will get the same treatment, but different rub.

My son is getting married the first of May out at the same riparian area my wife and I got married at. It'll be a big camp-out for family and friends. The pulled pork is part of the wedding dinner.

It's a Masterbuilt electric that I use to control temps with a ducted-in side burner that I use for smoke.

This is the set-up...

MA3V5682-small_zpsajdabwza.jpg

I build a small fire of natural chunk charcoal in the side burner, then throw a pan of chips, or pellets on it.

Back