THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IM from Durban South Africa now living in UK and make about 20 -30 kg at a time when I make. The traditional boerewors is coarse in texture. Your mix is almost like making sausage where it’s put through the grinder multiple times and makes it much more denser sausage. I use a number 8 plate and only run it once through the grinder and then I use a stuffer. A person should not be rolling it around to make the fat tacky. Remember this is boerewors and not the usual sausage.

The meat cuts you used are very expensive cuts of meat. We use flank or usually chuck which is much cheaper and tastes great.

Well done though you did a bang up job with the wors!! :grin::grin: When you make again try and get “Plaaswors ” boerewors spice Also from Crown spices.

When you cook it on the braai do not poke holes in the wors skin otherwise the fat and juices will escape and can then be very dry. You can also fry it in a frying pan with some onions and tomatoes. Mmmmm delicious!!

Sorry, just picking this thread up again after a few days driving Ambulances etc... Not much fun out there.

Some good points you make. I chose the brisket because it's actually cheaper than Chuck or Flank here by quite a bit. Meat is pricey here and in my opinion the higher fat content of the brisket works better, so win win.

Yes I kinda agree with you on the grinding. It's been a long while since I made sausages and the last time they were terribly dry. I don't have a really big die for the grind. I'll pick one up next week most likely. I heard that it was always good to get some emulsification / tackiness in the mix because it helps with mouthfeel in the end product? I was worried about having the sausage all dry and crumbly again so I went with an additional pas in a 5mm die.

Always happy to take good advice, so let me know. At least these Boerewors were very moist. I'm really happy with the result. Oh yeah... and never pop the skin.

Back