THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's funny what ticks ones senses. I don't really care about the wheels, replacement wheels are cheap. But that propane ignition system just looks ugly. Plus, based on my reading, for a low temp cook, it can't even be used.
So, for me, I look at it and think, "That's another air leak to cause temperature regulation issues".
I know of no other komado cooker that has an propane igniter, what were they thinking?

I'd like to find a cheap used one and fabricate a plate to seal the air leak. Then I can play.:-D

Lol. Yeah I almost never use the the starter. It would probably bug me more if I used it more.

Interesting! I do not have a kamado, but my dad-in-law does and he uses briquettes and just straight in, with no kick ash basket. It seems to work well for him although I thought he was wrong when I first found out because I thought you had to use lump in those to run well. Thanks for the insight!

I think the physical shape of the individual cooker makes a big difference. I used to have a extra large big green egg and because it was rather short and wide I think you could go forever with briquette charcoal. In contrast my medium really had an issue.

Lol. Yeah I almost never use the the starter. It would probably bug me more if I used it more.

They needed to use a larger burner on the starter. It would barely light the charcoal anytime I tried. And it would definitely take ages to get the grill up to high temps.

On another note I swung by Lowe’s and they have a kamado joe classic 20 percent off. I’d be 662 otd. I’m really wanting a Pitts and spitts pellet to replace my Memphis and a hasty bake to replace my wscg I just sold. But I do miss my green egg.

I guess I was looking at the stand-a-lone. It hides better under the table.

shopping

They needed to use a larger burner on the starter. It would barely light the charcoal anytime I tried. And it would definitely take ages to get the grill up to high temps.

On another note I swung by Lowe’s and they have a kamado joe classic 20 percent off. I’d be 662 otd. I’m really wanting a Pitts and spitts pellet to replace my Memphis and a hasty bake to replace my wscg I just sold. But I do miss my green egg.

What made you decide to get rid of the Memphis? That sounds like a good deal on the classic. The Hasty Bakes have always intrigued me, but I don't know anyone who actually uses theirs on a regular basis. They all tell me how great they are built and then when I say "how often do you use it?" and they say "oh, last time I fired it up was 6 months ago. lol I'm sure it's probably a coincidence but it's funny how they all say the same thing. They seem really nice.

What made you decide to get rid of the Memphis? That sounds like a good deal on the classic. The Hasty Bakes have always intrigued me, but I don't know anyone who actually uses theirs on a regular basis. They all tell me how great they are built and then when I say "how often do you use it?" and they say "oh, last time I fired it up was 6 months ago. lol I'm sure it's probably a coincidence but it's funny how they all say the same thing. They seem really nice.

I still have it for sale on here. I do like it but too small for my needs. And my wife wants a larger cooker as well after getting rid of the rectec.

And I’m almost like you where I always switch out cookers. I’m in Tulsa where there are a ton of people with hasty bakes. Also an amazing bbq joint solely cooks on the HB. I want to see some videos of you cooking on one for sure. You should make a road trip to Tulsa and I’ll buy you some ribs. I may be down in the Dallas area in March if you need a guest helper. :grin:

I still have it for sale on here. I do like it but too small for my needs. And my wife wants a larger cooker as well after getting rid of the rectec.

And I’m almost like you where I always switch out cookers. I’m in Tulsa where there are a ton of people with hasty bakes. Also an amazing bbq joint solely cooks on the HB. I want to see some videos of you cooking on one for sure. You should make a road trip to Tulsa and I’ll buy you some ribs. I may be down in the Dallas area in March if you need a guest helper. :grin:

The irony is I was supposed to go to Tulsa yesterday but I've got a nasty cold and the trip got cancelled. lol

Back