Big George Inspired Beer Brats

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Big George's beer brat post got me craving brats. I don't make them that often and am wondering if there is a better way to cook to them. This is my process. Please let me know if there is a better way.

Simmered a yellow onion in two cans of Modelo for a while then added a package of Johnsonville Brats. Simmered for about 15 min or so till an I.T. of 160.

J12fEw2l.jpg

Grilled on the gasser for a little to crisp up the skin.
JE2C8zzl.jpg

Top with onions and mustard.
koZl7zZl.jpg

I have wondered how much, if any, flavor I am getting out of the beer and onion bath. I have also simply thrown them on the grill and they have been good as well.

I've never been a fan of the hot tub method. I just grill them low & slow at first then bring them over higher heat. I like to dink my beer instead.

I've never been a fan of the bath method but I do love brats since going to Frankfurt back in 77.

I just grill them until they just start to crack. Right before I pull them I take my 12oz counterweight (Beer) and pour on them, flip and pour again. The brats are piping hot and cool quickly causing the brat to absorb the beer. Then pull. You can taste he flavor. It's Mighty Fine!

Back