Better than lump charcoal ???

Michigan BBQ Fan

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Scott
I'm always looking to improve my BBQ game, up everything to the next level and be aware of what's new. I've always been a lump charcoal guy and never really gone down the briquette route. Anybody have any tips for anything that might not be on my radar? Do the guys on the circuit really use the brands they put on their flags? My goto for the past few years has always been Jealous Devil. I feel it consistent, hot and good quality. They do have a new product of compressed hickory and is said to get hotter than the normal lump. Jump in Brethern! Let me know where to go with this...

I use lump only in my charcoal smokers.I have tried many different briquettes but always come back to lump for flavor.If I want the BEST flavor,I fire up the stickburner.

I agree with Hoss. Every now and then I give some bag of briquettes a try and am always disappointed. Stick with lump.

All lump... 100%. I use Royal Oak's "NatureGlo" (Hickory & Oak mix)

Except Mesquite, not really fond of the flavor profile left behind.

In my cabinets, I like the consistency of briquettes. Very easy to dial in temp and hold for along time. I’ve found that some lump (western) seems to be a little hard to control as it burns hot.

The best briquettes I have found are WEBER All Natural Briquettes. They're not cheap and you have to look for them (ACE Hardware stores) but they burn evenly, they burn a very long time and with very little ash.

I personally don't like lump. I'm a blue bag Kingsford guy. It is exactly the same every single time. After each use I get to add to Ash Mountain behind my shed too.

Back