THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CSchieck

Knows what a fatty is.
I get the gross majority of my briskets from a butcher about 30 minutes away. He lets me pick through the cases for what I like, and usually cuts me a deal. I don't like the drive, but deal with it for good meat selection.

I have a Wal Mart 5 minutes from the house, and will check their meat case from time to time to see if any good looking choice briskets show up before making the trek to the butcher. On rare occasion, I am able to find a good looking choice brisket mixed in with their standard select choices. Two weeks ago, I happened upon this 19# monster that is without question the most well marbled brisket I have seen at War Mart. I felt as if I had won the lottery.

Injected her last night and threw her on the smoker this morning. Am very much looking forward to dinner.

Attachments

• IMG_2267.jpg
    IMG_2267.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 320
I sometimes go to Walmart to see what they have on sale. Choice brisket at a dollar and some change is not bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an aside, for the first time today I cooked the brisket "fat side up" (I try to keep an open mind about things). As I wrapped in Butcher paper, I was saddened to find that while I have a very nice bark color and consistency on the top (fatty) side of the brisket, the bottom part of the brisket had almost no bark. This may very well be attributable to the air flow over the top of the brisket in the reverse flow cooker. Next time, back to fat side down.

As an aside, for the first time today I cooked the brisket "fat side up" (I try to keep an open mind about things). As I wrapped in Butcher paper, I was saddened to find that while I have a very nice bark color and consistency on the top (fatty) side of the brisket, the bottom part of the brisket had almost no bark. This may very well be attributable to the air flow over the top of the brisket in the reverse flow cooker. Next time, back to fat side down.

If you're smoking fat side down, are you also slicing it that way too? I started BBQing in Texas and that just seems backwards to me!

If you're smoking fat side down, are you also slicing it that way too? I started BBQing in Texas and that just seems backwards to me!

I have sliced both fat side up and fat side down, with only recently slicing fat side up (with improved end results). I had been cooking fat side down, wrapping (butcher paper) fat side down, letting rest fat side down and then slicing fat side down. With that process, I found that the bark on the top (non fat side)of the flat would become a little too dried out, making slicing more difficult than it needed to be. The last few cooks I have flipped the brisket to a fat side up position for the rest only, and have found that the bark (non fat side) to be considerably better and slicing considerably more easy.

top or bottom rack? it's been over a decade since i cooked one fat side up but i don't recall an offset having an issue with bark. cooking in a pan?

I may be part of the minority but I try to preserve the delicacy that is the fat on the brisket.. so it goes fat side up. I don't eat cuts of flat that has no fat. I also use the fat trimmings on the grill before I put my brisket on. I'm just a fatty bastard.

Back