THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
Went to my local butcher the other day - he said he had a beef shank for me

When I got there he had a 20 pound piece of meat waiting - looks like the entire leg of the cow.

I believe the lower narrower part is the primal shank - i was going to smoke and braise that.

But no idea what the part above the primal shank is - is this a bone in beef shoulder - and if so, assume I can smoke like the primal shank - until it hits 160 or so, then braise in a pan until meet is 205 or so/fork tender.

My buddy and I are going to separate the primal shank from the rest of the beast - but any ideas what I have above the shank would be appreciated. I don't have a picture of the meat (currently wrapped and in my freezer) - but below is a good rendition of what it looks like

https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/beef-leg-gm943814310-257847722

Smoke it as is. Season as you would brisket. Cook low and slow, but don't wrap. It's done when it's done.
I cooked two whole shanks like that about a year or so ago. Might have posted pictures here, don't remember.
I do remember that it was awesome in the way that beef cheek is awesome...like back ribs with more meat.

I have done Beef shank here
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259370
hope that helps a bit, great eating

Thank you - those are some great pictures and recommendations. I note you said they were about 3 pounds - that is what I have normally been told they will weight (between 3 and 5 pounds)

The one I got was close to 20 pounds - that was why I was concerned i got the shank and something else - just didn't know what that something else was! Guess we will have to cook it to find out.

Thank you again

Thank you - those are some great pictures and recommendations. I note you said they were about 3 pounds - that is what I have normally been told they will weight (between 3 and 5 pounds)

The one I got was close to 20 pounds - that was why I was concerned i got the shank and something else - just didn't know what that something else was! Guess we will have to cook it to find out.

Thank you again

Its been a long time but, we used to cook whole legs on a spit,
Treat the top as a roast to be slow cooked
you have my mouth watering

I'm thinking you have a very generous portion of 'foreshank'. The brisket is slightly to the rear, and as you go higher you run into the chuck. The lower chuck is sometimes called a 'chuck - square cut'. In the beef chart the area labeled 'stew meat' is the additional weight as a foreshank is maybe 8 pounds.

3BuiabN.jpg

Back