THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jlems

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Justin
Tried some new stuff yesterday. Plate ribs with different rubs: Jamaican Jerk, “Brisket” Rub, and simple salt and pepper. To the large set of ribs with only S&P I added HDD from Oakridge. 9.5 hours at 250 with oak and cherry on the Brazos offset. Jalapeños were stuffed with cheese and bacon, and wrapped with puff pastry. I was surprised at how good these jalapeños were. Expected the pastry to disappoint but it cooked up nicely. Wife also made a broccoli bacon salad.

The jerk rub, and all of the spicy ingredients seemed to cook out. I’ve found that it always tends to disappear. The more I try other rubs and combos, I just can’t seem to beat Salt and Pepper. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

That sure looks good right now!! YUMMY!! I just came home from dentist and can't eat anything yet. I sure would like some of that

I guess I just want something else to be as good. Running out of ideas on rubs that will have that kind of pop in flavor. The cook process just flattens other flavors out so much.

Ah meat church. Forgot about them. Have to try the Holy Cow. Used the Honey Hog and that was nice.

Your cook looks really good. Gonna have to try those poppers. S&P for me on beef but, I have noticed a lot of people talk about Black Ops and Holy Cow rubs.

I guess I just want something else to be as good. Running out of ideas on rubs that will have that kind of pop in flavor. The cook process just flattens other flavors out so much.

^^^^^This above. Discovered this a long time ago. I found that after the big meats such as butts or brisket reached a temp of 175-180 internal, that the flavor of the rubs started to diminish to the point of almost just salt by the time it reached finish temp. This was on a traditional stick burner--with pellets not so much.

Try tasting the outside rub as it gets to the stall and then after and see if that is your experience.

Robert

^^^^^This above. Discovered this a long time ago. I found that after the big meats such as butts or brisket reached a temp of 175-180 internal, that the flavor of the rubs started to diminish to the point of almost just salt by the time it reached finish temp. This was on a traditional stick burner--with pellets not so much.

Try tasting the outside rub as it gets to the stall and then after and see if that is your experience.

Robert

Great idea. Will try this!!

Back