THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Big C
Hey y'all! I will preface this by saying that I forgot to take pics. By the time I finished the cook, I had the absolute worst smoke headache (usually happens when I have a cook that goes longer than 5-6 hours), which may also have been allergies acting up. :sick:

But...I finally got ahold of some beef cheeks this weekend, which I had been wanting to try my hand at for forever. They came out wonderfully. I was aiming for a barbacoa-type end result (fall apart, shreddable texture). For anyone curious, here is the method:

One pack of beef cheeks, roughly 5lbs. I didn't trim them at all, despite how dang ugly they are. I rinsed, patted dry, then applied a heavy coat of modified beef rib/brisket rub (kosher salt, coarse black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, mexican oregano). I let them sit in the fridge overnight. Next morning, I put them in the offset and let them go 4 hours at 250. At that point, they had a good little bark going. I then put them in a foil pan, topped with one sliced white onion and two thinly sliced poblano peppers, and then filled up the pan 3/4 of the way with a mix of low-sodium beef broth and Lone Star beer. I covered the pan tightly with foil and let it go another 4 hours.

Y'all...I'm not saying it was one of the best things I've ever smoked...but I'm not NOT saying that either. :biggrin1: There was bark. There was a deep red smoke ring. There was rendered, gluey fat galore! And it was absolutely falling apart tender. I shredded it up and it was absolutely amazing on a fresh corn tortilla with a little bit of green salsa and some fresh crumbled white cheese.

I promise pics next time! I'm super excited to add this to my repertoire.

Back