BBQ Chicken - General Tso Style

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
I made up some General Tso's style BBQ chicken for the 4th. It was pretty tasty. I'm sure everyone is familiar with General Tso's chicken that is served in Chinese restaurants. Actually, there never was a real General Tso chicken recipe that anyone can find. The dish was actually created in the U.S. for the American palette. It consists of a sweet and spicey sauce over deep fried, breaded chicken thigh chunks. My family really likes P.F. Chang's version of the dish, so I though, why not try a BBQ chicken version?

I marinated boned and skinned chicken thighs in a little light soy sauce, white wine, garlic, and ginger. Then I BBQ'd it at 275 until it reached 160 F. I then, put it on the grill glazed with the General Tso's "BBQ" sauce and grilled it until it reached 170 F.

picture.php

I slightly modified the General Tso's chicken sauce to make it more like BBQ sauce. The recipe follows.

1 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup light soy sauce
3/4 cup sugar
1 TBLS crushed garlic
1 TBLS finely chopped ginger
2 Sliced spring onions
1/3 cup cool water (tap water is fine but it must not be warm or hot)
3 TBSP of corn starch

Mix the vinegar, wine, soy, sugar, onions, garlic, and ginger and heat in a sauce pan. Mix the water and corn starch.

When the sauce comes to a boil and you think the alcohol from the wine has cooked off, whisk in just enough of the water and corn starch mixture to bring the sauce to the thickness that you want.

Use the warm sauce to glaze the chicken as it is grilled and like BBQ sauce when you serve the chicken with rice. Garnish with some sliced green onion tops. I also grilled up some asparagus.

picture.php

picture.php

Tasty stuff!

Last edited:
I love General Tso's Chicken so I will try this soon. Thanks for the recipe & pics.

Thanks, folks.

One thing I forgot to add on the recipe was the sesame oil. After the sauce is thickened, remove the sauce from the heat source and whisk in 1 TBSP of sesame oil. That's an important ingredient. Sorry I failed to mention it above.

Looks good and sounds good! I'll bet that glaze would be good on wings!

that looks great! do you put any peppers in that? here it usually has chilis de arbol in it as well. if made with no chilis they put sesame seeds on it and call it sesame chicken. i like your presentation!

that looks great! do you put any peppers in that? here it usually has chilis de arbol in it as well. if made with no chilis they put sesame seeds on it and call it sesame chicken. i like your presentation!

I'm going to have to start writing my recipes down. :rolleyes:

Yes, but I use about a teaspoon of crushed red pepper.

Ok, here is the complete recipe. I don't often write my recipes down because I don't have that many and I can remember the ingredients. However, I am not good at writing recipes down at 11:47PM, apparently. So, here is the recipe just like I made it. The only difference is, I had 6 guests plus my wife and I, so I made a double batch. Please experiment with the red pepper and the sugar. You may like it spicier and/or sweeter or less spicy and less sweet.

1 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup light soy sauce
3/4 cup sugar
1 TBSP crushed garlic
1 TBSP finely chopped ginger
1 TBSP of sesame oil
1 Tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 Tsp white pepper
2 Sliced spring onions
1/3 cup cool water (tap water is fine but it must not be warm or hot)
3 TBSP of corn starch

Mix the vinegar, wine, soy, sugar, onions, garlic, red pepper, white pepper, and ginger and heat in a sauce pan. Mix the water and corn starch well in a separate container.

When the sauce comes to a boil and you think the alcohol from the wine has cooked off, whisk in just enough of the water and corn starch mixture to bring the sauce to the thickness that you want. Remove from heat and whisk in the sesame oil. Serve warm.

Last edited:
You sir are my hero I love BBQ and general taos chicken I would never have thought of that thanks for the recipe

Thanks, guys. It was pretty tasty and it's a little bit healthier than the deep fried chicken original version.

Back