Barbacoa and Pepper Porter Beef

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Decided to clean out the freezer, what do I find? Chuck roast & beef cheeks. Sounds like a plan...

Package of beef cheeks from Wally World. I was pleasently surprised, it was one piece. Previous packages were always multiple small pieces.

EuSV81Vh.jpg

Next up the Chuck Roast, decided on Pepper Porter Beef (couldn't find stout, so got a bottle of porter). Good coat of Southside Market smoked salt, pepper, garlic and a bunch of additional pepper.

ozxnQ6th.jpg

Into the FEC they go to get some smoke on...

YgBV8tSh.jpg

Ready for part two of the cook. Since I have to cover them with foil, into the oven they go, no sense in wasting pellets. All the usual ingredients and some Polish Porter, actually pretty good stuff.

hkuzTd2h.jpg

h1JL0Hnh.jpg

Beef checks get some beef broth and a jalapeno.

lEpL5xdh.jpg

Now we wait about three to five hours.

Beef cheeks are done first...

1uc7ScEh.jpg

Look at that gelatinous goodness...

DAZDfN8h.jpg

Chuck still has a ways to go. Stick a fork in it and twist, if it doesn't spin like it's in a bowl of spaghetti, stick it back in the oven.

Ku5SLsWh.jpg

Found this at Wally World and decided to give it a try. Added some extra jalapenos & onions and to make it more Mexican, a shot of tequila. :becky: Actually pretty good stuff, I'll buy it again.

bSK7lyJh.jpg

Break out the MeatRakes and shred away.

G0LK8wvh.jpg

Please don't make Gringo tacos out of this. Corn tortillas, onions & cilantro.

JBgugf5h.jpg

yqkMIFmh.jpg

About an hour later, the PPB was done.

peCPSVJh.jpg

PPB is for lunch later today. Thanks for looking

Looks delicious. How was the PPB? I've done it with different stouts, and could really taste the difference. The last one was made with a sweet breakfast stout. The sweetness was very noticeable.

Matt

Looks delicious. How was the PPB? I've done it with different stouts, and could really taste the difference. The last one was made with a sweet breakfast stout. The sweetness was very noticeable.

Matt

Had just a small taste yesterday, but was quite good. I like to mix up the beers & the seasonings for a change of pace. Have used stouts, porters, mexican beers, all good.

I am right there with the tacos. Gotta have lime, not lemon. Taqueria I used to go to always gave out lemons. Good, but limes are better. Extra kudos for the cheeks! Thanks for the ideas. If I ever pull the trigger on that LSG, I gotta try these.

Lots of extra effort put into those cooks and the results show it. I have to try my hand at barbacoa some day. Really great looking products!

Back