THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mpedrummer

Hi all! This is a repost from something I added to /r/smoking on reddit, but I thought you guys might be interested, too.

Our "standard" recipe was converted from an excess-salt style - "about 1c sugar per pound", that sort of thing. We wanted a more repeatable procedure, so after some delicious algebra, we ended up with a cure that was 15% brown sugar (15% of the meat weight, that is). That was absurdly high, and even left undissolved sugar in the end. So, we lowered it to 11% and called it good.

Fast forward, we tried to adjust the recipe to be sugar-free, for a friend with diet needs, and holy heck it was disgusting. WAY too salty.

So we set up this experiment to try to learn about the interaction of salts and sugars in the cure. We did our standard cure with 6 different percentages of brown sugar.

yisiNfb.jpg

1%, 3%, 5%, 7%, and 9%, plus 11% which is not in the picture.

All were done with ~3.5% salts (kosher salt plus sodium nitrite for 181ppm). Each slab was weighed, then the cure ingredients were applied proportionally. We use the equilibrium method, if you want to Google it.

8jytRbG.jpg

Left to right, 1 - 11%. Very little visual difference.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to get a picture, but the amount of liquid pulled from the slab was also nicely proportional, until we got to 9%. There wasn't a significant difference between 9 and 11%

qX8YcqA.jpg

The hardest part was keeping track in the pan :)

TSWalbX.jpg

I love it when a plan comes together. This test shows the differences pretty clearly in our taste test. 9% and 11% tasted much the same - I think there's simply a maximum amount the meat could absorb.

From 9% down, the bacons taste increasingly salty. At 3%, it became "too salty" for our initial testers, and 1% was frankly gross.

Based on the weight gain of the slabs during the cure process, which was also a nice curve correlating with sugar percentage, I believe that higher sugar content is actually preventing the salt from being absorbed, rather than merely masking the taste of salt by being sweeter. The higher sugar content cures had less weight gain, 9% and 11% actually had weight loss.

My wife and I chose different favorites (I chose 5%, she chose 7%), but I like salty/savory more, and she prefers sweets. We both agreed that 5% and 7% are the ones to go with. Above is too sweet, below is too salty. We're having friends over for a bacon party this weekend to taste and vote.

Last edited:
That's very interesting, but I gotta ask... Ever consider just cutting back on your sodium level? I mean, 3.5% is fairly high. I rarely cure anything over 3% in an EQ cure anymore. I find 2.5-3% salt and an equal amt sugar to be a pretty nice balance... I guess what I'm saying is, instead of adding copious amounts of sugar to cut the salt flavor, why not just start by cutting the salt to where it suits your flavor preference, and then bring in your sweets?

That's one of the next sets of experiments I hope to run. Like I said, the basis of this recipe was a converted excess salt cure. Once we had it delicious, we stopped messing with it, though now it's time to think things through further :)

Also, I have it in my head that 3.5% is an important salinity for preventing botulism, but now I can't figure out where I got that from. Lack of google results is leading me to believe it's just one of those numbers that ends up in your head sometimes.

Last edited:
Found it!
Combining NaCl control with chill storage can prevent toxin formation for certain periods of time. In laboratory media using high inocula (104-105 spores / ml), toxin growth is prevented for at least 2 - 3 wk at 2% - 2.5% NaCl and for at least 4 - 5 wk at 3% - 3.5% NaCl at 5 °C (41 °F)

The source is here on the FDAs food safety site - http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodScienceResearch/SafePracticesforFoodProcesses/ucm099239.htm

Still pretty sure that's not where I first got the number, though. Shrug.

I think between the nitrite and the salt, you're safe.. I wouldn't let that scare you away from trying less salt. In dry curing, most of us never even make it to 2% salt for muscles and salamis that sit at room 40-50 degrees for months and months..

Found it!
Combining NaCl control with chill storage can prevent toxin formation for certain periods of time. In laboratory media using high inocula (104-105 spores / ml), toxin growth is prevented for at least 2 - 3 wk at 2% - 2.5% NaCl and for at least 4 - 5 wk at 3% - 3.5% NaCl at 5 °C (41 °F)

The source is here on the FDAs food safety site - http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodScienceResearch/SafePracticesforFoodProcesses/ucm099239.htm

Still pretty sure that's not where I first got the number, though. Shrug.

If you are curing with just salt and no nitrate you need much more salt. Since you are smoking well above 5C/41F and also using nitrate cure, those numbers are not at all applicable.

Those numbers are actually taken from a section on shelf life - the 41° is for storage temperatures. I just had the number in my head for some reason, pretty sure that was it.

Those numbers are actually taken from a section on shelf life - the 41° is for storage temperatures. I just had the number in my head for some reason, pretty sure that was it.

The 41 is a high point for refrigeration. You have to be careful with curing and make sure the guidelines you are following are appropriate to your situation. What works for 3-4 weeks in a refrigerator is not the same as what will work for 8 hours in a 70 degree cold smoker. What works for sausage is not the same as what works for a solid piece of meat like bacon. A pure salt cure is different than using a nitrite/nitrate cure. A salt, nitrate and sugar cure is different as well.

Back