THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buckshot Malone

Knows what a fatty is.
Looking for some insight from the brethren. Considering a Backwoods Chubby. I cook all meats at 275. How does the Chubby cook at that temp? And, I'm not a water guy, so is it effective dry? Any other tidbits greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....Jeff

We have a BWS Competitor model (about twice the size of the Chubby). We cook around that same temp (wet and dry) and it works like a dream. We use a DigiQDX2 with the 10 cfm fan and it will hold right on temp for as long as there is fuel in the firebox :wink:. If you decided to go with the BWS you will not be sorry imo. One of the best "box" smokers around. Mike builds em right.

That BWS Chubby is a very versatile cooker in my opinion because of the removable water pan. You can grill and you can smoke just by removing or replacing the water pan and heat deflector.

It will run just fine at 275 with water - yes water***, but you can place foil over the water pan to catch grease so long as you poke vent holes in the foil at the corners. I do it all the time.

For 300+ you can cook with a dry water pan (foiled again for easy cleanup) but it's a little harder to control temps. I cook at 350 a lot too.

Two recommendations

1: Get a Stoker too. It lets you walk away and get other stuff done like sleep or whatever. ***You could cook 275 dry easy with a Stoker.

2: Buy through a knowledgeable dealer that can answer questions. If you're told to 'call Backwoods for questions and then order with us' hang up.

I have a party and use water cause i just prefer that, i run at 250 no probs but honestly call backwoods on that. Like the above post says mike builds em right but hes also not going to want to sell ya a cooker that just cant do what ya need

Check out their Facebook page. Lots of good informational Q&A's they post including the one below about running dry.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Backwoods-Smokers/310623857153?fref=ts

Shop talk with Chase Lummus / BWS:

Jeff Toney from Pop’s Smokehouse wants to know: I have heard some people talking about cooking dry with a BWS by putting sand in the water pan, can this be done, is it safe and does it cook the same ??

CL: You can cook dry on a BACKWOODS SMOKER. You have to be careful with this because if a lot of grease gets on the water pan it could catch on fire. The number one thing that you don't want to do is put sand in it. If you have a carbon steel water pan the sand will eat it up (all cookers fatboy and bigger with permanent water pan are carbon steel unless special ordered). The best way that I have found is to put a pan on the bottom rack to catch the grease. You just have to make sure that the pan is big enough to cover the water pan. Cooking dry your heat is going to get high. These cookers are rated to up to 300 degrees. I know of people that cook hotter, I just would not recommend it. So if you are going to cook dry the main thing that you have make sure of is to keep the grease from getting to the water pan and NO SAND.

Not to bust anyone's bubble, but why get/use a water cooker if you don't like water???:confused:

Looking for some insight from the brethren. Considering a Backwoods Chubby. I cook all meats at 275. How does the Chubby cook at that temp? And, I'm not a water guy, so is it effective dry? Any other tidbits greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....Jeff

Back