THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Or as I like to call it - Baba O'Riley Ganoush. :mrgreen: Now that the song's stuck in your head, here goes...

First ingredient I don't have: Tahini. I looked it up, it's simply toasted Sesame Seeds, Olive Oil and Salt. I can do that. I toasted some Sesame Seeds last night in a dry skillet, popped them in my food processor, added oil and it still looked like I had wet, oily Sesame Seeds rather than a smooth textured mix. Into the fridge for the night, I'll worry about how to fix it in the morning.

After I grilled the Lobster Tails and Steamers last night I made use of the still hot grill and roasted some Eggplant. No pics of it being roasted on the Goldens', but here it is this morning -

18bINiy.jpg

Meanwhile, I broke out the Ninja Food Processor/Mixer and set out to create a better textured Tahini. Voila! -

cnPngi2.jpg

Diced up Eggplant -

6gxfl0t.jpg

plus Greek Yogurt, Salt, Pepper, Cayenne, Garlic, the Tahini and Lime Juice are mixed in -

RkDUJKE.jpg

VE5mbHF.jpg

and it looks and tastes pretty good. I may have used a bit too much Tahini as the Sesame flavor was a tad strong, but it was still quite good. A drizzle of EVOO and into the fridge for a few hours for the flavors to meld.

Meanwhile, what goes best with this? Pita Bread. Almost easier to make than it is to buy and I know it'll be much better.

Initial dough ball -

TK1tPOs.jpg

After a 2 hour rise -

rTiDoXm.jpg

Individual Pita balls -

GdRjhQH.jpg

Pressed out into discs and ready for the Blackstone -

QkqQOQ7.jpg

4gHGNQf.jpg

Initial flip -

a86hCWH.jpg

vt1ljm8.jpg

Flip again once more -

1xvdVA2.jpg

Ready to serve with a drizzle of EVOO and Pine Nuts -

yCWzs52.jpg

n1drKSy.jpg

Hm7cQdR.jpg

Qsbcfaf.jpg

ZSx4aWZ.jpg

With the exception of a bit too much Tahini, this turned out quite decent. The Pitas are so much better than anything store bought and not difficult at all to make (a Chef John recipe). And of course, griddling them all at once on the Blackstone makes things go so much faster.

As always, thanks for following along with this cook.

Oh, I almost forgot:

"Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals, I get my back into my living..." :biggrin1:

Regards,
-lunchman

Thanks all. I was hoping somebody who was an expert at making this might give their critique and let me know if I came close to making this correctly. I guess all that matters in the end is whether it tastes good and it passes my test.

This is our favorite appetizer at our favorite middle eastern restaurant.
They use smoked paprika in theirs.
I will try this out!

Love some good Baba!...one of my favorite spreads, nice and smokey flavor from the char on the eggplant....Pita recipe?? Well done, looks great Dom!!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Looks great Dom I'm a big fan of Baba Ganoush, make it about once a week with homemade Roti Bread. I prefer to fine chop mine on the cutting board as I prefer a little texture.

Baba O'Riley never heard of it, Who sings it (sorry couldn't resisit). Serioulsy though Dom, absolutely wonderful looking cooks. I never really knew what babaganoush was until now. Kinda like an eggplant hummis. thanks for posting

Back