Avoid Pit Boss Pellets!

I'm a pellet newbie, so maybe don't listen to me, but...

I've had good luck with B&B pellets, Cookin Pellets and Bear Mountain. BC I'm anal and don't want to tear up an expensive cooker, I filter my pellets (with this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008B0T5Z2?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details) and store them in sealed 5gal buckets.

More work, but might help from tearing up a nice machine like that Pitts & Spitts..

@brisketboss,

Just out of curiosity what did you expect PitBoss to do for you in terms of compensation?

Something more than "take it back for a refund and I'll throw you a bottle of rub for your inconvenience" something that would dissuade me from writing public negative reviews, something that would retain me as a customer - maybe some free bags of pellets or a gift card to cover the ruined brisket. something.

:shrug:

When I bought my CH5 last year, I also bought 3 bags of PB pellets. All 3 had a lot of sawdust and pellet "fines". I ended up having to sift the pellets from the bag before I put them in the hopper. Once sifted they were great, but a lot of pellet dust in all 3 bags. I did not have a problem with burnback as I recognized the potential problem and removed the dust/fines before using them, but as I understand it, sawdust and fines are the most likely cause of auger tube burn back of the fire into the hopper. I have not bought PB since, but have been using mostly Lumberjack (along with some B&B which I already had on hand.)

It may just be the 3 bags I bought had rough handling from employees at Walmart, but it was all 3 bags. My lumberjack was part of a bulk buy last year and so far has been great with no issues at all.

I've noticed they are very dusty, I've been through 3 40lb bags and super dusty when handling them. the Smoke Ring pellets much less dusty/less fines.

Something more than "take it back for a refund and I'll throw you a bottle of rub for your inconvenience" something that would dissuade me from writing public negative reviews, something that would retain me as a customer - maybe some free bags of pellets or a gift card to cover the ruined brisket. something.

Yeah must have been quite the experience to drive you to register an account here and on your third post write about it. Sorry for your loss.

I'm a pellet newbie, so maybe don't listen to me, but...

I've had good luck with B&B pellets, Cookin Pellets and Bear Mountain. BC I'm anal and don't want to tear up an expensive cooker, I filter my pellets (with this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008B0T5Z2?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details) and store them in sealed 5gal buckets.

More work, but might help from tearing up a nice machine like that Pitts & Spitts..

thanks

you know what? I think my pitts & spitts "nice" factor is really around the barrel itself, the thickness of steel, fully welded, etc, and the controller, I think the whole auger, motor, fire box and possibly the igniter are all commoddity and they looked to me to be almost if not exactly the same as pit boss unit I saw on youtube videos.

I think I'm gonna do the sifting gizmo :cheers:

Why would you want free bags of pellets that you have stated you will never use again? Also playing devils advocate. It sounds like the brisket was still finished/ate just not up to your standard. Not exactly a ruined brisket, just a sub standard vs expectation brisket. At any rate I have tried many pellet brands and have always come back to lumberjack. At this point in time I have no reason to switch and they provide good flavor out of my ys640. Maybe give them a try.

Why would you want free bags of pellets that you have stated you will never use again? Also playing devils advocate. It sounds like the brisket was still finished/ate just not up to your standard. Not exactly a ruined brisket, just a sub standard vs expectation brisket. At any rate I have tried many pellet brands and have always come back to lumberjack. At this point in time I have no reason to switch and they provide good flavor out of my ys640. Maybe give them a try.

I wouldn't want them now, given the issue and their response but they could offer. had a similar issue with a dog food company, got a skunky bag, reached out to them they sent me bags of the stuff with an apology from the CEO. that's how you do it.

if I go to a restaurant and find a bandaid in my food, I don't just want them to remove the food off the check and give me a desert, I want them to try to get me back into the place again. Hey so sorry, let me comp this check and buy you dinner again.

I dunno, maybe I'm old school customer service.

as to the brisket it's edible by humans but it's terrible. came out like overcooked roast beef. tried to rescue but it just was too far gone. marginally ok diced up and fried up on nachos but I can't eat that many nachos - for all intents and purposes it's ruined.

so between being dusty(which may lead to other issues), QA issues resulting in the jam and their response, I'm out. too bad they were cheap (duh) and easy to get locally. oh wel time to move back to smoke ring

Your brisket wasn't ruined though as you said you put it in the oven to finish. Why should they compensate you for something that didn't happen?

Oh well, you live and learn.

Man, I am sorry you had trouble! It is frustrating to come out and have a pellet grill problem! I have had issues with mine. That said, I have used quite a few bags and different flavors of PB pellets in my two PB cookers and have had no chunks like you are talking about. If you have another brand you like, no biggie. As to the ruined brisket, I see no reason for the company to flit the bill for the meat. If you finished it off badly in the oven, that is not the pellets doing. I grew up with my mom making oven cooked brisket that was always tasty!

No offense...but definitely falls in the "sh$% happens" category. If this is the worst thing that happens to you, you are living a really charmed life and should consider yourself lucky! Smoke on!!!!

I feel there was a issue with the larger pellet yes that is their fault but the fact that you left your smoker unattended is your fault. How can you expect compensation from them when you left your brisket unattended over night. But when this is the maker of the pellets fault and error of the cook for leaving his smoker unattended fault looks like both of you are to blame.....
Sorry for your loss

tenor.gif

I feel there was a issue with the larger pellet yes that is their fault but the fact that you left your smoker unattended is your fault. How can you expect compensation from them when you left your brisket unattended over night. But when this is the maker of the pellets fault and error of the cook for leaving his smoker unattended fault looks like both of you are to blame.....
Sorry for your loss

While I agree there is an issue with the larger chunk I don’t agree there’s fault to the OP. Maybe expecting too much compensation in return, but pellet cookers are made to be used unattended. That’s why they exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back