THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Terry
I got to thinking of something today. I bought an Auber PID a while back to play around with Sous Vide cooking. Interesting, but not something I will do a lot.

But, I got to thinking about that PID just checks the temp. If it is less than X, turn something on. If it is X or higher, turn something off. What would stop me from using this PID as part of a temperature controller / fan for my WSM?

The following is the PID I have:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=44

They make one specifically for smokers, but looking at the specifics on it, there doesn't appear to be much of a difference between the two.

I would guess the only things I would need would be a different probe, a fan, and something to mount the fan to a vent.

And no, I probably don't need it for my WSM. Just something I thought of...

Should be easy. Just plug a 12Vdc "wall wart" power supply into your controller, then connect power supply output to a cooling fan. You'll need to fab up an adapter for the fan to fit your WSM or purchase one made for that application.

I also want a temp controller. But being cheap (why I built a UDS), I'm building a DIY setup. I actually ordered a PID controller and thermocouple from Auber yesterday. This is the one I ordered:
aa_1_b.JPG

It is a 12Vdc powered unit. I chose DC power so I can use the 12V "wall wart" power supply for the PID and blower fan. I was too cheap to buy their blower fan, I have several computer cooling fans lying around, so I will fab up something using that. I'm thinking about building something similar to a IQ110 or IQ120. I'll probably post up some pictures when I get all the parts.

I have an auberins PID controller running my plumb-in espresso machine--they are nice, reliable, and quite good (I have no affiliation other than customer). I also built a coffee roaster using auberins. The main issue is that they come configured with a fairly complicated PID model. The discovery / auto-calibrate mode can be very useful, but expect some hand adjustments of the PID variables (there are a dozen of them or so).

The biggest issue is how much ringing you will get based on the settings. Basically how far will it overshoot and how much bounce you will get in the temp until you get your settings figured out. I have the Auber for the Akorn (the same as the WSM I think) and the settings that are optimized between the two are quite different.

Auber responded back that the PID I have is fine for doing BBQ controlling too. I ordered a separate probe so I have one for Sous Vide and a different for BBQ.

Now I just need to look for a 10 CFM or so fan and the bracket to mount it to the vent. I have seen one somewhere that covered one whole pin wheel vent. Really don't want to tape vents closed and definitely don't plan on drilling any holes.

Auber sells a fan and WSM adaptor plate. Might need to cut the plug off of it to wire it in, but shouldn't be too hard.

I adapter my Auber fan to my 22.2 OTS

I just punched a 1" hole in it and use round magnet to cover the hole when I am not using it

I usually dont use it on my OTS, but its nice to have once in a while

Back