Ash can which won't rust out?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
I had a galvanized steel ash can for like 10 years, and it finally is starting to fall apart at the bottom due to rust.

Is there one I can buy which will never rust out? Perhaps entirely stainless steel?

Funny, I had one that the same thing happened to and I was just thinking today that I need to start looking for a new one. I will watch for suggestions before I make a purchase.

I had a galvanized steel ash can for like 10 years, and it finally is starting to fall apart at the bottom due to rust.

Is there one I can buy which will never rust out? Perhaps entirely stainless steel?

If you got a jigsaw or an angle grinder you can buy a used Stainless Steel Beer Keg from your local beer distributer for like $20 bucks.

Just cut the top off and burn out the plastic liner, or let the ash do that.

You're welcome.

If you got a jigsaw or an angle grinder you can buy a used Stainless Steel Beer Keg from your local beer distributer for like $20 bucks.

Just cut the top off and burn out the plastic liner, or let the ash do that.

You're welcome.

I dont know much about beer kegs but I like the price and the fact it's stainless. But I am trying to understand how a lid would be fashioned? i.e. a lid that overhangs where you cut with the grinder?

I bought a stainless bucket from tractor supply several years ago. When it gets full, i put the ashes into a plastic cat litter container given to me. When it's full, pour into garbage bag and throw away.

I empty the ash pan in the firebox of my Shirley after every cook. Our back yard is very "natural", I just dump the ashes on the ground and let them get washed into the mulched areas.

I have an almost Co-Op bucket. I've had it for ten years+. The previous owner used it for a catch-all nuts, bolts, screws. Before that guessing sort of oil, lube etc. 5 gallon, heavy duty- bail but no lid. I have to have something metal under firebox door of my offset. Little coals fall occasionally. I think I read the actual Farmland Industries Double Circle CoOp cans are collectors items. Guessing there's still millions of them in shops being used as junk drawers.

In college in central La there was an old black gentleman near campus who cooked direct fire chicken usin a CoOp can cooker. That man could cook chicken.

Last edited:
I dont know much about beer kegs but I like the price and the fact it's stainless. But I am trying to understand how a lid would be fashioned? i.e. a lid that overhangs where you cut with the grinder?

Yeah, just drill a few holes and bolt stainless steel hinges on it. Lid even has handles on it.:mrgreen:

Thanks everyone I just ended up going with a cheap $20 six gallon galvanized can from Lowe's. Used a free $10 gift card I got for signing up with capital one shopping. Also used another Lowes gift card, $100 card, I had bought at a 12% discount. So basically was free if you take into consideration the free gift card along with the discount on other.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Behrens-6-Gallon-Galvanized-Steel-Trash-Can-with-Lid/3473839

^^ good call. The ash works well in a compost pile.

That is where all my ash and coffee grounds go.

^^ good call. The ash works well in a compost pile.

That is where all my ash and coffee grounds go.

I do keep a compost pile from all the lawn cuttings, it's quite big now as we just cut the lawn. If I throw it in how will it affect the pH levels? alk vs acid.

I use the galvanized cans with a tight fitting lid, but inside I use a double trash can liner. Since I don't add hot coals to the can the plastic bags work fine.

Back