THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ThePerfectBeard

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi All,

I have some honey hog baby back ribs on the smoker now. I bought some apricot preserves after hearing about Bogart's apricot brûlée ribs. For some dumb reason I was think it was just preserves, but not I'm realizing it's probably some sort of glaze. Can anyone help me whip up a quick glaze for these ribs?

Thanks!

Depends if your preserves are sweet or how tart your preserves are. Honey to sweeten if needed, OJ or a squeeze of lemon if it's already sweet to counter balance the flavor. Thin it down with water or 7-up and heat it for just a few minutes for it all to blend together. You can even throw in a pinch of cayenne to give it a kick. It's just taste and mix until you like what you've got.
Some may suggest a shot of alcohol in the glaze, I suggest a shot of alcohol in the cook.

I got this recipe from one of you farkers a while back; sorry I don't remember who or I would give them credit. I have made it with both apricot (original recipe) and peach (my variation). Both ways are really good on ribs.
Apricot or Peach BBQ Sauce
½ teaspoon olive oil
3 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin*
½ cup water
⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup apricot or peach preserves/jam
2 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
½ teaspoon white ground pepper more or less for heat
1 teaspoon salt
Add water, apple cider vinegar, apricot jam, honey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt, and pepper in a pot. Heat on low and mix slowly. Add all other ingredients after a few minutes. Simmer on low-medium heat for 15 minutes until thickened. Stir occasionally so as not to burn and stick. Remove from heat. Let cool. Makes about a pint.
I actually followed this recipe; measurements as listed. Don't know how all the chemistry works, but it makes a tasty sauce.

Depends if your preserves are sweet or how tart your preserves are. Honey to sweeten if needed, OJ or a squeeze of lemon if it's already sweet to counter balance the flavor. Thin it down with water or 7-up and heat it for just a few minutes for it all to blend together. You can even throw in a pinch of cayenne to give it a kick. It's just taste and mix until you like what you've got.
Some may suggest a shot of alcohol in the glaze, I suggest a shot of alcohol in the cook.

It's smuckers so it's already sweet and I don't have a lemon on hand so I'll probably go with apple juice or water and a pinch of cayenne like you suggested. Thank you for your help!

You may want some acid to balance the sweet, so instead of apple juice use some apple cider vinegar, or whatever vinegar you have.

I got this recipe from one of you farkers a while back; sorry I don't remember who or I would give them credit. I have made it with both apricot (original recipe) and peach (my variation). Both ways are really good on ribs.
Apricot or Peach BBQ Sauce
½ teaspoon olive oil
3 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin*
½ cup water
⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup apricot or peach preserves/jam
2 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
½ teaspoon white ground pepper more or less for heat
1 teaspoon salt
Add water, apple cider vinegar, apricot jam, honey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt, and pepper in a pot. Heat on low and mix slowly. Add all other ingredients after a few minutes. Simmer on low-medium heat for 15 minutes until thickened. Stir occasionally so as not to burn and stick. Remove from heat. Let cool. Makes about a pint.
I actually followed this recipe; measurements as listed. Don't know how all the chemistry works, but it makes a tasty sauce.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4583898&postcount=1

• Thanks
Reactions: QN
Back