Anyone really sharing secrets?

It sounds to me that we need to create a thread called competition secrets revealed.

It are these "secrets" that makes people money like Trigg and Myron.
If everyone gave away their tricks of the trade then the guys with the cooking schools would be put out of business.

-Eric

Well, as far as I know, both Trigg and Mixon have schools. So they're teaching a chunk of their techniques. Potentially getting their students very far down the path to their flavor profiles. With hundreds of cooks learning, their techniques are all pretty public...particularly Myron's. I have his book.

But this comment really takes this thread and hits on the real intent.

How much do we want to share about what we do? I can tell everyone how to get a 1/4" smoke ring on every brisket, shoulder, rib that they cook. But I'm not sure I want to share it. Appearance is something that I have going for me. But maybe that's something that the brethren should be very clear on.

When someone says, "Hey, I'm entering a competition, tell me how to make a winning rub, sauce, etc." Instead of the "A little salt, a little pepper...practice and cook what you like" response, which is certainly true, maybe we should just be straight and tell them...you're not going to get any "secrets." That may be an oversimplified example.

Well, as far as I know, both Trigg and Mixon have schools. So they're teaching a chunk of their techniques. Potentially getting their students very far down the path to their flavor profiles. With hundreds of cooks learning, their techniques are all pretty public...particularly Myron's. I have his book.

But this comment really takes this thread and hits on the real intent.

How much do we want to share about what we do? I can tell everyone how to get a 1/4" smoke ring on every brisket, shoulder, rib that they cook. But I'm not sure I want to share it. Appearance is something that I have going for me. But maybe that's something that the brethren should be very clear on.

When someone says, "Hey, I'm entering a competition, tell me how to make a winning rub, sauce, etc." Instead of the "A little salt, a little pepper...practice and cook what you like" response, which is certainly true, maybe we should just be straight and tell them...you're not going to get any "secrets." That may be an oversimplified example.

you're not going to get any secrets because there truly aren't any. it takes practice and attention to detail to cook well and win. those aren't secrets, they're truths.

i get a 1/4 inch smoke ring by cooking my food over wood. is that a secret? know what i mean?

You guys hit on one of my UDS tricks. When we don't have a Cambro (yes, we forgot one once last year) we just "CrockPotted" the can. Left the big meats on and choked the heat way down (like the 180 range) and let it sit wrapped. We won pork, brisket and the comp that day.

That didnt happen to be at Holy Smokers last year?

Seasoning has nothing to do with a smoke ring.

I can cook over wood and get almost no smoke ring. I can cook with charcoal and get a smoke ring.

I remember a guy telling me that paprika is what gets the pink ring. Ha! And I beat that guy every time I compete against him.

They may be asking the wrong people. The folks I know, and I myself, will tell them. I've said many, MANY times here in painstaking detail HOW to develop and make an award winning sauce, and how to make an award winning rub, and how to make them so that they go together...

Want winning sauce recipes, check infernooo's sauce competition thread here.

If they ask nicely, I'll give them my exact recipes, and I'll tell them why it might not work for them, because unless you're using my smoker, using the hickory from the trees that I use, foil when and how I do.

Last edited:
No doubt, the farther you get from qualified judges the more "off" things become. Also, those that win like this got REALLY lucky on their table. REALLY.

Not all CBJs are "qualified judges" either, they just paid for a class.

Alot of these "too salty" briskets do very well in KCBS cooks as well. But we know we are cooking for 1 bite judging in IBCA/LSBS.

That being said, some of the "smaller charity" cooks that are IBCA or LSBS are put on by Elks or other lodges. That is where overly salty comes in as the lodge members get the first shot at judging. And these guys are the same ones closing down the bar and chain smoking up until their first bite.

Back