Anyone know where to source straight sided 55 gal drums that are unpainted inside and OUT?

Mkrem88

Found some matches.
Hi guys I've been making UDSs for a few years now, just as a hobby but sold a few. I've always bought reconditioned ones that are burnt out and sandblasted inside and out, but they are not the smooth side ones, and are not new. "Even tho I make em look new"

Anyone familiar where you can find new smooth sided ones that are unpainted inside and out? All the new ones I've found are painted black on outside, and I'm assuming they don't hold up to 4-500f, and id also be painting and or powder coating the outside

Thanks for any help!

There’s a guy in Kansas City that sells smooth sided drums, no paint on the inside but they are on the outside. This place uses some sort of bagged adhesive that’s stored in them. Maybe you could find a similar manufacturer in your neck of the woods.

Considering they’re mild steel, I’m not sure you’ll find many that don’t have some sort of coating on them. I used a weed burner and the paint came right off. Painted with Eastwood high temp paint and it’s held up great.

Edit - at one point I believe Hunsaker was selling bare drums along with or along side their clonesaker kit. They were not cheap though and I’m sure shipping could be cost prohibitive.

There’s a guy in Kansas City that sells smooth sided drums, no paint on the inside but they are on the outside. This place uses some sort of bagged adhesive that’s stored in them. Maybe you could find a similar manufacturer in your neck of the woods.

Considering they’re mild steel, I’m not sure you’ll find many that don’t have some sort of coating on them. I used a weed burner and the paint came right off. Painted with Eastwood high temp paint and it’s held up great.

Edit - at one point I believe Hunsaker was selling bare drums along with or along side their clonesaker kit. They were not cheap though and I’m sure shipping could be cost prohibitive.

Yea I wonder where gateway gets theirs from, unless they just buy the black ones and paint over em . I talked to cary company in Illinois and all they sell is ones that are painted on outside, but said they’ll try to source a bare one for me.

I imagine when you buy on the scale they do, as a business, you can just purchase straight from the source. Highly doubt they’re burning off paint with a weed burner then wire wheeling.

Hey Suds, my brother in law wants to build a UDS and we live in KC. Can you give me the name of the guy?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Back