Any T&K Gravity Fed Smoker Owners In The Group ?

BBQ Freak

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
BBQ Mojo
Thinking I am wanting another gravity fed smoker again and wanted another Stump's but since he sold the shop I am looking at other cookers and the T&K catches my eye . Looking at this for doing over night cooks and I know Paul has one but would like to hear from others too on what you think ? what does the plate do were the water pan sit ? is it just a heat diverter and is there air flow space around the plate that heats up the chamber ? also and temp difference from top to bottom and I do not use water so do guys just remove the pan or put a foil pan in to catch the grease ? thanks in advance

The pan actually has rails that keep it just a hair above the heat diverter. Heat travels up the front (door side) and back side of the cook chamber. The plate is welded to the FB and exhaust sides. I foil over the pan to catch drippings. There's enough space to use the pan rails for a 4th rack in a pinch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The pan actually has rails that keep it just a hair above the heat diverter. Heat travels up the front (door side) and back side of the cook chamber. The plate is welded to the FB and exhaust sides. I foil over the pan to catch drippings. There's enough space to use the pan rails for a 4th rack in a pinch.

so with the water pan empty it does not warp running it dry ?

hey Paul does the outside get real hot and what insulation did you get ? I want custom paint and do not want it to burn off , how is your paint holding up ? I am really leaning towards a T&K and my next decision is the small or the medium :doh:

I got the 1" insulation. It's a trade off that you need to think about. It lets you control temps instantly. The bad side is that the outside gets way hotter. My cabinet has 2" and I can lean on it as it's only a little hotter than the outside temp. You don't want to lean against the T&k for more than a few seconds. I had a post or thread where I posted the outside temps. I'm thinking it was in the 140-160 range.

and that just opened a whole new door do I get the thicker steel on the chamber or the thicker insulation ? what would you do ?

I didn't know they offered thicker metal. I was in a hurry and the one in stock was ready to go with more options than I thought I needed. Glad I got the extra options. Especially the diamond plate and I don't even like diamond plate. I don't know that I would worry about metal thickness so much. I mean backwoods are really thin and they seem to last longer than you would think. I really wish some other owners would chime in. Not good to buy just on the experience of 1 person.

they offer 1/8" outer skin for $150 and 2" insulation for $150 and will definitely get the diamond plate top and wish I bought it on my Stump's and glad for your insight Paul and is much appreciated buddy . I thought as many cookers they have sold more people would of chimed in too and there is nothing on you tube , lol .

I owned one but it was a direct flow cabinet, not gravity fed.

I just remembered something annoying. My umbrella holder is too small to fit any of my 3 umbrellas. Maybe he makes them in different sizes. I guess I'll need to go buy a smaller/cheaper umbrella with a skinnier pole...

Back