THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jafo28

Knows what a fatty is.
I didn't want to hi-jack the other thread about thermometers, but I have a question regarding their use.

I'm currently in the early phases of building a smoker, and had planned on putting a tel-tru through the door. I was wondering about just using an ET-732 and not putting the thermometer in the door, maybe an oven thermometer on the inside.

Any thoughts?

I used an oven thermometer once, which is about how many times you can use it before the glass gets all nasty. I opted to not install a thermometer in my mini wsm and use the 732 just as you describe. Works great.

I have two ET-732s. I still would not be without the thermos in my smoker doors. There are plenty of times that you don't need the probe. The bigger issue for me is why not... I mean you are talking about a couple of $$$ to add it.

I like having my big tel tru, i can see it through a window in the cases where i dont feel like playing with gadgets, some times i just wanna play with fire:-D

If for no other reason, it is a little more aesthetically pleasing with a thermometer on the door, in my opinion.

The River Country thermometers can be had for less than $20 (closer to $15). For the finished look and functionality as a backup thermometer that they provide, they are well worth the money.

I opted to skip the mounted thermo on my build and just get a et732 because of all the talk of inaccuracies with the mounted ones. I'm a newbie but I find it works well

Youll be glad when you have a decent quality door thermo, when your maverick bites the dust middle way through a 100lbs pork butt cook......ask me how i know. I wouldnt be without my Tel-tru's in either of my pits.

Back