A new way for pulled pork?

checkrd past

Full Fledged Farker
I might be late for this but I decided to do pulled pork a bit different.I cut the butt into 2 and 3 inch chunks and dusted with my basic rub than continued to smoke as usual. 225 until good color than wrapped the pan until nice and tender. It was by far the best I've made for taste and texture. I just have the start and after wrap pics but no pull pics. I need to do a redo to see if i can replicate the cook. Has anyone else tried this?

Attachments

• PULLED SMALL 1.jpg
    PULLED SMALL 1.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 326
  • PULLED SMALL 2.jpg
    PULLED SMALL 2.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 326
I'm sure that's awesome with the extra surface exposed for more "bark".

Oh yeah. It’s like making pork belly burnt ends but with butt - and stopping before the sauce/butter/honey step.

That does look interesting. I wonder if putting the pieces in a basket to expose even more surface area to smoke would make much of a difference.Then into a pan covered with foil. Even so, I think I’m going to try it. I know that it doesn’t make much of a difference as there are so many variables, but do you happen to know the finishing temps of the chunks? Just curious.

That does look interesting. I wonder if putting the pieces in a basket to expose even more surface area to smoke would make much of a difference.Then into a pan covered with foil. Even so, I think I’m going to try it. I know that it doesn’t make much of a difference as there are so many variables, but do you happen to know the finishing temps of the chunks? Just curious.

I put the pieces, separated, directly onto the grate. Usually 1.5” to 2” cubes. Then into a pan, covered, in a single layer to finish if the bark was set before they were done.

I put the pieces, separated, directly onto the grate. Usually 1.5” to 2” cubes. Then into a pan, covered, in a single layer to finish if the bark was set before they were done.

Yeah, I thought of that also, but my line of thought was that you could just give the basket a quick shake or two now and again, then dump the whole kit and kabootal in the pan to finish them off. Thanks though.

Didn't really check temp, just a see and push test for tenderness. I'll be more on top of it next time.

I like to do this to my butts

Mgore09h.jpg

Damn wish I saw this before. Just put a butt on the pellet pooper. I get lazy and rely on what I know will work. Wish I had more inclination to 'think outside the box' a bit.

I've never cut one into that small of chunks but usually cut them into three or four chunks for better flavor and bark.

I might try your way soon.

Back