A Little Research Secret. How to Choose a New Smoker by Looking at Used Smokers!!!!

Stlsportster

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Parental Assigned Label
Now. First step. Go to any classifieds selling used grills, smokers, and bbqs.

Search for each of the following, one at at time: Weber, Smoker, charcoal, grill, bbq. Sometimes I add rotisserie, pizza oven, Santa Maria, discada, Blackstone.

Note you will see many of the same items show up in multiple categories but you’ll get a good cross section.

Note. All the models that you find at the local big box. Hundreds. On sale. Weekend warriors who bought crap. Used it. Hated the experience and sold them cheap. Always a decent used Weber 18, and 22 for under $50 you can buy at any time.

Also note the models you don’t see often. Occasionally a nice 26. Good One. Decent UDS. Lang. Shirley. Humphreys, T&K, Tejas, Klose, Outlaw.

Now. Think about which seller you want to be. The one who is dumping a dynaglo in a flooded market. Or the one satisfied with your purchase.

End. Of. Story.

Apparently not. This is also apparently necessary.

If you come on this site with the name of a product, and nobody here has heard of it.

A. It’s a miracle new product which we would love to see you buy, test, document, and let us in on the deal.

Or

B. It’s not worth the above effort and we suggest you pass.

I have to agree with your train of thought, as being a reasonable guide for buying a "new" cooker. When you see some of the items listed, you realize they are weekend warriors who dont have their heart in to the Art of The Que. Those of us who take it seriously will know when that "Deal" is real.

One of my proudest achievements in life (yeah...:tsk:) was talking a coworker out of getting a Dyna-Glo "stickburner" type thing. He loved looking at that picture and it took me plus another coworker who's an egghead to talk him off the cliff. Took about a week, IIRC. He got a Kamado of some sort and loves it.

Sadly it took me a few years to realize buying used is a great option when you want to try some new. I started smoking on a kamado and enjoyed it. Over time I got frustrated with some of the kamados shortcomings and wanted something different. I spent a bunch of money on a YS 640 just to find out I was not a pellet guy either. I sold it for much less than I paid. Having learned my lesson, when I wanted to try a stick burner I bought used to make sure I liked tending a fire before making a big investment.

Last edited:
Back