THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Been without smoked pork in the freezer for awhile and saw Fareway was having Butts for $1.69 which isn't great but doable. I sideled up to the meat counter and told the youngster I wanted 2 - 8 ish lb butts. He went and got a couple and I saw the price on the scale as $1.99 and told him it was in the ad at $1.69. He went to their ad and said he couldn't see a pork butt on special. It was then it hit me I saw the ad in the Waterloo Courier online (home town) not the Grinnell Fareway. Regardless they will match price but need to make a call to approve it. Got that squared away and wrapped and stickered.
I also grabbed a couple stuffed chicken breasts, a couple Iowa chops, a huge 1" thick ham slice. Off I go to the check out. The lone woman in aisle three I got behind was having a problem because the $60 ( her estimate) of meat registered at $13 and she kept saying "I could have just smiled and left but that would have haunted her". I then moved over to the express aisle and the gal says "that will be $163.84" I made a funny noise as that seemed to be a little high but was in a hurry as wifey was sitting the car already grumbling I made a second grocery stop.
Driving the 15 miles back to the lake I'm adding stuff in my head and nothing is making sense. When I get home and look at the sales slip I had one butt for $13.66 for a 6.68 butt and the second one was for $132.24 for a 66.32 lb butt!

I called store manager and he looked it up and agreed the ticket print was incorrect and if I brought my debit card in the would make it right and I told them no way I was driving another 30 miles to fix their mistake.
I suggested they put the cash (they could not print a check) in a envelope and that would work for me. But a shout out to Fareway they sent the Assoc. Manager cash in hand to the house within the hour.

So long story long, as much as I'd like to smoke that 66lb butt I'll just cook the 2 little ones. Lesson learned if the purchase seems off, check it.
Ed

Around here, half the time, sales items ring up as full price, so I try to keep an eye on on the register, as they are ringing things up. It's easier to catch, when one item rings up wrong, than sorting through the receipt later.

Faraway is a good solid store. Fantastic meat department. Not surprised they drove out and gave you back the money.

66 pounds would be awesome to smoke. Have to throw a huge party to get through it all!

Back