1st prime rib

JohnnyQue

Found some matches.
Hey folks, doing my first prime rib this afternoon and I need a gameplan. I have a 14lbs roast and requests for medium rare, medium, and medium well:icon_blush: portions. I'm thinking of cutting the roast into three sections, putting the M-W section on first followed by the other two and trying to time them all to be done close to the same time and reverse searing in hot oven then letting them rest for 20 min or so before serving.

If they are all around 5 lbs sections should I figure around 3 hour cook time at 275 for the M-W (or 30ish min per lb), 2.5 hours for medium (25 min), 2-2.25 hours for M-R? If I'm cooking them all at the same time will it take a little longer?

Thanks for your help. I'll try to take pics.

Just remember putting in a cold or cooler piece of meat will drop your smoker temps!

Sounds to me like your game plan is solid. I did a Prime Rib on my Egg last week and it took exactly 2 hours for a 4lb roast to cook to 135F. I didn't reverse sear, but I did ramp up to about 500 when the meat hit 115F. It was still indirect.

I don't think you're going to have any huge time or temperature variation with that amount of meat.

I say go for it! :clap2:

In my experience, the cuts toward the ends get more done than in the middie - that is if you're cooking at around 350. At lower temps you will get a more uniform doneness all the way through, so my guess is if you cook at 350 you will actually get the your different donenesses (is that a word?) on the same roast without cutting it up. The cuts will get more rare as you go toward the middle of the roast. Just remember you can always cook it more - you can't ever uncook it!

Don't forget to let the temps coast up the last 10 or so degrees while resting & reverse searing. If you cook all the way to your desired temp and then rest/reverse sear, you will overshoot your target temp.

Good luck - you'll love it & make sure you have enough left over for a cold prime sammich tomorrow - that's livin'!

In my experience, the cuts toward the ends get more done than in the middie - that is if you're cooking at around 350. At lower temps you will get a more uniform doneness all the way through, so my guess is if you cook at 350 you will actually get the your different donenesses (is that a word?) on the same roast without cutting it up. The cuts will get more rare as you go toward the middle of the roast. Just remember you can always cook it more - you can't ever uncook it!

Don't forget to let the temps coast up the last 10 or so degrees while resting & reverse searing. If you cook all the way to your desired temp and then rest/reverse sear, you will overshoot your target temp.

Good luck - you'll love it & make sure you have enough left over for a cold prime sammich tomorrow - that's livin'!

I'm thinking to pull off smoker at 125 for M-R. 130-135 for M. and 140 for M-W?

I would not part it out. I tried a new method on a 16# roast on X-Mas that turned out fantastic. Lots of rave reviews. Put it on at 200 degrees ( low & slow ) and took it to an internal temp of 130 ( dead center ), pulled and let rest untill 30 min prior to searving, then put back in oven at 500 degrees for the last 30 min to set up the bark. Dead center was med rare and more done towards the ends. Remember, you can have a pan of Aujus ready if someone want's thier's more done, just put it in the Aujus untill done. Put it on at 11:00am and searved it at 5:30pm. Hint : If it's a bone in roast, trim the section of bones off prior to seasoning and then tie them back on with butchers twine prior to cooking. This way you get the benefit of flavor from cooking with the bones and they remove easily after cooking to make sliceing easy. Good luck!

P.S. Save the bones to boil down and make a great beef stock

Spice

I'm thinking to pull off smoker at 125 for M-R. 130-135 for M. and 140 for M-W?

I think so. Esp. with the reverse sear (good move, btw) you can be pretty damn sure you'll coast up another 10 degrees. Make sure you let that thing rest - definitely no less than 30 minutes. I pulled one out last week at a little under 120 and it coasted up to a nice rare, getting more done to mw on the ends (I was cooking at higher temps and in an oven at my folks house - woke up kinda late and had to get it going).

Also, you will get a more uniformly cooked prime the longer you let it sit out at room temp before cooking.

I would not part it out. I tried a new method on a 16# roast on X-Mas that turned out fantastic. Lots of rave reviews. Put it on at 200 degrees ( low & slow ) and took it to an internal temp of 130 ( dead center ), pulled and let rest untill 30 min prior to searving, then put back in oven at 500 degrees for the last 30 min to set up the bark. Dead center was med rare and more done towards the ends. Remember, you can have a pan of Aujus ready if someone want's thier's more done, just put it in the Aujus untill done. Put it on at 11:00am and searved it at 5:30pm. Hint : If it's a bone in roast, trim the section of bones off prior to seasoning and then tie them back on with butchers twine prior to cooking. This way you get the benefit of flavor from cooking with the bones and they remove easily after cooking to make sliceing easy. Good luck!

P.S. Save the bones to boil down and make a great beef stock

Spice

It would be a good idea to pay very close attention to what this gentleman has to say.

JohnnyQ,
As a guy who cooked his first one last week I only have a little advice for you concerning your MW folks: don't let them watch you slice the meat! Mine came out medium but the juice on the cutting board ran a clear red that will probably freak out someone who's not used to seeing it. I have no idea why it bled like it was rare or medium-rare, but it sure did.
Just a thought. ;) Best of luck on your first one!

Arlin

I would do as Spice suggested, and if someone really wants theirs more done just toss their slice on the grill for 30 seconds /side to cook it for them.

I agree with Spice. I also do mine at 200* till it's 130* in the middle. The ends will be done a little more. I sear at the beginning though. The benefit of this plus the low cooking temp is once you hit your desired internal temp it will only go up a couple of degrees while resting. Good luck. :cool:

Back