MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
LostNation
Full Fledged Farker

Default BBQ in Georga

I'm going to a practice round for the Masters. Could someone direct me to a BBQ place between Atlanta and Augusta. Thanks

Old 01-31-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Thought I'd bump this Rich. Surprised nobody responded yet.

Last time I was in Ga., we ate at a pretty good place called Countrys. It was a small chain around the Columbus area. Don't know if they reach up to the Atlanta area though.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Lost, you're talking about out I20 East. Right off I cant think of a BBQ joint worth
a flip on that stretch....
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
rogwadd
On the road to being a farker

Edit: This is becoming a disappointing search, as I expected:

Here's a good blog entry/ You might scan his other Q' entries
http://cookingwithlittlebuddy.com/?p=381

Most of my time has been spent in Coastal Georgia and along I-95 between DC and Savannah.

Good luck in your journey

I did find a few of the following:

BBQ Barn, North Augusta, SC
http://cookingwithlittlebuddy.com/?p=478

Neil's Bar-B-Que, Thomson, GA
http://www.menupix.com/georgia/resta...Que-Thomson-GA

Jackie Hite’s Bar-B Que
Batesburg-leesville, SC- about 50 miles from Augusta
http://cookingwithlittlebuddy.com/?p=729

Fresh Air Barbecue , Jackson and Macon. Jackson, the original, has been in business since 1929. basic menu, pork, chicken, ribs, Brunswick Stew, beans, coleslaw.
http://www.freshairbarbecue.com/index.html

Sconyer's Barbecue, Augusta, GA; mixed reviews-you might google them.
http://www.sconyersbar-b-que.com/

Some other info:
Holcomb's, Greensboro, GA; maybe
http://busterblogging.blogspot.com/2...nsboro-ga.html

Heavy's barbecue, Crawfordville, not recommended

Last edited by rogwadd; 01-31-2011 at 01:13 PM..
rogwadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
LostNation
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks, we have time and I go over them. I've never been to that part of Georgia.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
rogwadd

Forgot one. This is the first one I hit in my search. He's got an interesting Google Map at the bottom of his page.

http://3rddegreebbq.blogspot.com/
Old 01-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
BKBBQ

we will be set up all week at cadillacs bar only two miles up washington rd from the gates.we will be cooking on site and i always do a hog on the first day.we will have plenty to eat and you can tell em you are with the cooks and drink free too.nice website lostnation great bean recipe too i believe you will enjoy our food bring your friends and i am sure there will be plenty of tickets for other days also.
BKBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Regarding Fresh Air BBQ: Jackson will be the closest to your route, and probably 45
minutes to an hour off of your path. Macon is 1.5 hours heading south of Atlanta,
away from your eastern flight.

Fresh Air won a contest a few years back where a group of folks toured around and
rated BBQ restaurants. As a result (of their winning), I went. I honestly was not
impressed at all. The pork was chopped (right off, I dont care for it) very fine, and
had very little smoke flavor at all. For that matter, the pork had very little flavor.
Their sauce was OK, but not off the chart great. That HAS to be what they were
voted on/for, because everything else was bland. It wasn't aweful, but I wouldn't
travel out of my way for it...

It was a few months afterwards, at a contest where we cooked chicken thighs as
well as other things that we had one older gentleman (I'd say 75 years old) eat
pretty much his weight in our chicken thighs. He'd eat one, go to another tent or
two, sample theirs, then come back and eat another one of ours. He went on and
on about how wonderful our chicken is and how he'd like the recipe and how he'd
like to sell it in his restaurant. Ends up he was the elderly main cook, at Fresh Air.
Nice guy, but they dont have my chicken recipe. :-)

The best BBQ restaurant around this area would probably be Pig In A Pit. Their pork
is pulled and cooked traditionally in a Southern Pride smoker. First problem is that
they're a good 40 minutes off of I20. The second problem, IMHO, is they're not very
consistent. One day their pork will be off-the-hook great, the next day it'll ok at
best. I'd hate for you to take my word for it and travel this extra distance (to
Milledgeville) and catch them on an off day.... Their pork is seasoned well, cooked
low and slow over smoke, plenty of smoke flavor, and not chopped into oblivion. Their
sauces are pretty good too, if you're in to sauces.

Oh, there are plenty of Shanes Rib Shacks around. Skip those at all costs.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
kevinsbbqjoints
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'd second the motion with Hance on Pig in a Pit.

Kevin
Kevin's BBQ Joints
kevinsbbqjoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd agree with the Fresh Air comment above, lots of hype but I wasn't too impressed.

If you come through Atlanta, Fox Brothers is in down town Atlanta, Community Q is in Decatur, both have pretty decent Q. I've heard good things about Jim N' Nicks in Conyers, but never tried it. I'm in Stone Mountain (east Atlanta) and I travel up to North Georgia to eat at a place called Stonewalls in Brasselton.
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
trza
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers65 View Post
I'd agree with the Fresh Air comment above, lots of hype but I wasn't too impressed.

If you come through Atlanta, Fox Brothers is in down town Atlanta, Community Q is in Decatur, both have pretty decent Q. I've heard good things about Jim N' Nicks in Conyers, but never tried it. I'm in Stone Mountain (east Atlanta) and I travel up to North Georgia to eat at a place called Stonewalls in Brasselton.
Fox Bros was really good when I went there. I pulled the KCBS judging trick, ordered a ton of Q and put it in ziplocs for the flight back to Baltimore.

here's a piece of menu. The Fox Bros Burger is solid and I'd love to eat one again.

Fox bros "burger" by trzarocks, on Flickr

Here were the specials the day I went...

Untitled by trzarocks, on Flickr

Appetizers - fried okra and some sort of bbq tots. The okra seemed like it was breaded in crackers. They were both ok.

Here's the meal. Everything here was awesome. Smoked turkey breast was recommended by the waitress, smoked wings were solid. Great Shells and Cheese and cornbread.

Hope the info helps. I am looking for Q recommendations in Birmingham right now so hopefully karma will kick in here.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trza View Post
Fox Bros was really good when I went there. I pulled the KCBS judging trick, ordered a ton of Q and put it in ziplocs for the flight back to Baltimore.

here's a piece of menu. The Fox Bros Burger is solid and I'd love to eat one again.

Fox bros "burger" by trzarocks, on Flickr

Here were the specials the day I went...

Appetizers - fried okra and some sort of bbq tots. The okra seemed like it was breaded in crackers. They were both ok.

Here's the meal. Everything here was awesome. Smoked turkey breast was recommended by the waitress, smoked wings were solid. Great Shells and Cheese and cornbread.

Hope the info helps. I am looking for Q recommendations in Birmingham right now so hopefully karma will kick in here.

THANKS trza, I wasn't hungry until you posted these photos!!!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostNation View Post
I'm going to a practice round for the Masters. Could someone direct me to a BBQ place between Atlanta and Augusta. Thanks
You lucky stiff. How did you pull that one off?
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #14
carr73
Got rid of the matchlight.

Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton Sc. about 45 minutes from town. Motts in Martinez Ga. It's chopped but good. Sconyers is chopped also but more food than you can eat. Sportsman BBQ Sweetwater Sc not far from the 1st N Augusta exit. Hash and rice is the main side in this area. Further south it is Brunswick stew usually.
carr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #15
trza
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq.tom View Post
THANKS trza, I wasn't hungry until you posted these photos!!!

Glad that I could help (or hurt). While the okra and tots were a little disappointing, their meat and sides great. If I ever have much of a layover in Atlanta again I'm going to cab it out there and grab a bite to eat again.

My Birmingham thread doesn't seem as promising right now. I'm going to keep doing some research and hope the Lord finds a way to put a great plate of Q in front of me.