Can an Egg absorb smoke flavor??

nrok2118

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was thinking if I hard boiled an egg, de-shelled it put it on the smoker, would it absorb that "smoke flavor" ? Anyone have any experience/idea? Was brainstorming ideas with a buddy at work and thought if it would work I could smoke some eggs and make deviled eggs.

Search for a member named Phubar he made some smoked hard boiled eggs recently that looked delicious.

I've been thinking of doing a cold smoke with black tea for an Asian thousand year old egg type of appetizer.

Yep,Cold smoke.Soldering Iron and wood chips in a bean can.:thumb:If ya really wanna get there,cut em in half first.

Just throm them on the grill...you'll get a light smokey Phlavour.
One of my latest threads: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95949

IMG_2355.jpg

hi guys,,,,
nice discussion is going on i relly enjoyed it and helpful for me,,,
i thought that it should be helpful for everyone , and enjoyed every one,,,
thanks,,,,,

I may try this. For Deviled Eggs I would boil them, shell them, cut them in half, remove the yolk and THEN smoke em. Then when you add the yolky mixture back in you would get a nice contrast in color between the brown/smoked egg 'white' and yellow yolk.

Put them on the grill, raw and in their shell, for about two and a half to three hours at 250, and you get a dark hard boiled egg. The smoke penetrates the shell. Make a sandwich with a little light mayo and you get a great smokey flavour.

YES…. Per Adam Perry Lang in his book serious barbecue page 337… And I would have to say I agree with him. Boil the egg then roll the egg to crack the shell and smoke for 1 hour. It makes for great egg salad, deviled eggs or just breakfast.

No need for pre-boiling Shiz.
Or is there a difference between both methods?
If the egg is cracked before you put it on the smoker it might give a nive pattern on the egg.

When I worked on the farm as a kid I collected eggs from some free range chickens.There had been a skunk out there and they smelled when we fried them,also had a funny taste.I'm thinking you could cold smoke a raw egg.

YES…. Per Adam Perry Lang in his book serious barbecue page 337… And I would have to say I agree with him. Boil the egg then roll the egg to crack the shell and smoke for 1 hour. It makes for great egg salad, deviled eggs or just breakfast.

Agreed. Note that APL gives credit to my friend Marc Farris for this technique in the book. Rare for him to acknowledge another cook, so props to Marc on this one!

Smoked eggs might be an interesting twist to pickled eggs as well........will have to give it a try.

As you can see the eggs changed to a brown-ish colour...the smoke penetrated right through the shell without boiling or cracking the shell.

IMG_1963.jpg

As you can see the eggs changed to a brown-ish colour...the smoke penetrated right through the shell without boiling or cracking the shell.

Wait are those precooked or did you put them on raw? If so how long at what temp?

...not precooked.
I think they were on there for 45 min. on the opposite side of the fire.

Back