Improving pastrami texture?

H

Happy Highwayman

I bought a pre-corned corned beef in vacuum packaging at the supermarket. rinsed it off, rubbed it with pepper, coriander and garlic before slow smoking it on my Little Brown egg. Due to one of my wiring requiring a re-crimping after an hour I had some low temps for a bit, but between 200-225 it cooked for about
3.5 hours before hitting a consistent 165 internal temp (Used apple wood).

It was only 3.5 lbs so that's why it cooked fast.

I wrapped it for 1 hour in foil before slicing a few slices for dinner. It was really tasty, MUCH more mild flavor than when I used the wrong kind of wood (either mesquite or hickory), but the texture was slightly rubbery/chewy. Still, an excellent second attempt.

Any tips on how to get better texture?

Awesome. I was going to steam finish some slices prior to serving, but I didn't realize I should do it for the whole brisket.

I would do it with a steamer if you have one big enough to fit the pastrami in.

If you don't have a steamer, you can always take it up to 185*. This should make it more tender without having it fall apart on you.

Also a great suggestion. Would have done that had I thought of it...I was worried past 165 might "overcook" it.

I'm really looking for a "Montreal Smoked Meat" type texture, and I know that the traditional Hebrew places in Montreal steam their meat before serving.

Any other ideas how to achieve that style vs. American style pastrami?

Last time I did pastrami I placed it on a rack in a foil pan and covered tightly with foil. A bit of light beef broth in the bottom for steam. Came out great for me.

Cheers

Do you guys use a meat slicer? I like mine sliced really thin but can only manage so thin with a chef's knife.

Also a great suggestion. Would have done that had I thought of it...I was worried past 165 might "overcook" it.

I'm really looking for a "Montreal Smoked Meat" type texture, and I know that the traditional Hebrew places in Montreal steam their meat before serving.

Any other ideas how to achieve that style vs. American style pastrami?
I normally take mine up to 185* and then cooler it for an hour or more. Let it rest for AT LEAST 15-25 minutes to let the juices re-distribute before slicing.

Last time I did pastrami I placed it on a rack in a foil pan and covered tightly with foil. A bit of light beef broth in the bottom for steam. Came out great for me.

Cheers
Like that idea, I may have to steal.... I mean borrow it.... LOL

Luckily a pre-cured corned beef was only $13.00 so all I need is 4 hours and I can try it again :)

Luckily a pre-cured corned beef was only $13.00 so all I need is 4 hours and I can try it again :)

BTW with those pre-packaged corned beef briskies, you want to soak them for at LEAST overnight to a day to take out some of the excess salt... and change the water a couple times.

Edit: I soaked my last one for about 3 days.

Good luck with it!
Cheers.

BTW with those pre-packaged corned beef briskies, you want to soak them for at LEAST overnight to a day to take out some of the excess salt... and change the water a couple times.

Good luck with it!
Cheers.

Yeah I made that mistake. I didn't soak it. Still edible.

Edit: I soaked my last one for about 3 days.

Good luck with it!
Cheers.

+1 ^^^^^ I like to soak mine for at least 36 hours with several water changes. I use the pressure cooker cause I have one. I also like to use the eye round corned beef instead of the brisket. I like the texture better and holds up to slicing paper thin.

Cheers

I should note that using a pressure cooker is technically braising the meat, not really steaming it. I use my pressure cooker as a time saver for either braised meats or beef/chicken stocks. It just boils water hotter than it normally would boil at due to the increased pressure.

I would really love to know what kind of wood they use in Montreal for the brisket....the Apple was good, but still TOO "smokey" tasting, it needs a subtle hint of the right smokiness, not a punch you in the mouth kind.

I will perfect this, as I've yet to have any decent restaurant pastrami in SF.

I should note that using a pressure cooker is technically braising the meat, not really steaming it.

Splitting hairs…. Technically correct if the meat is seared over high heat to brown the outside and then cooked in a liquid to finish like a pot roast, but that is not the case for finishing the pastrami.

Placing on a rack in the area above the water in the steam is well…...you get where this is going.

Cheers:wink:

Splitting hairs…. Technically correct if the meat is seared over high heat to brown the outside and then cooked in a liquid to finish like a pot roast, but that is not the case for finishing the pastrami.

Placing on a rack in the area above the water in the steam is well…...you get where this is going.

Cheers:wink:

My bad! I didn't think of that.

Back