MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
rowdycowboy
Full Fledged Farker

Default Wicked Charcoal

Just was wondering about this type of Charcoal and if it is that much better than reg. lump and the cost?
rowdycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

It is very good stuff, and quite expensive. Here is a link to the Whiz's lump charcoal data base. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm You will find that there is no one "best" charcoal".

I use Royal Oak (R.O.) most of the time and Ozark Oak now and the when I want to spend the $$$
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

I recently found a local source and I'm hooked. I paid $23 for a tall bag (I cant remember how many lbs. I want to say 20-25). So it is more expensive but it's not too bad.

But here's the thing about Wicked Good: The pieces are huge and dense. Compared to Royal Oak (which was my brand of choice) it takes forever to light, but once you get it lit it burns a long time. I love it.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
rowdycowboy
Full Fledged Farker

So would say a 10 lb bag of wicked good last longer than another brand both beind 10 lb bags? Why is the price so much is it because say a wicked good 10lb bag last as long as a 20 lb bag of something else? Does it burn longer to cut down on adding charcoal every 2 hours?
rowdycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdycowboy View Post
So would say a 10 lb bag of wicked good last longer than another brand both beind 10 lb bags? Why is the price so much is it because say a wicked good 10lb bag last as long as a 20 lb bag of something else? Does it burn longer to cut down on adding charcoal every 2 hours?
Yes.

IMHO it's worth the extra $. But, if you couldn't find it local and had to add shipping $, that would take it over the top.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote