• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Guru or a Stoker

MattG

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm looking to add either a Guru or a Stoker to my BBQ Arsenal. I've seen both at work but I'm not sure which to go with. I will be using it on a WSM 22 for now but I hope to be getting a Backwoods competitor in 2011. So if anyone could share their use, trials, errors, and thoughts on these two items I would be grateful. If you would buy a Guru or a Stoker please share why or why not.

I'm a fan of the Guru. From what I've read here, Stoker is a fine unit too. I have had very good experience with my CyberQue II. The customer service at The BBQ Guru has been excellent and Fred, Bob and the rest are all great guys that you'll run into at comps around the northeast.

That said, don't let it get wet. If there's even a slight chance of rain, I put a Ziploc bag over the unit to make sure it stays dry. I learned that lesson the hard way!

I own both and both do a great job. If you want simple (1 pit, 1 meat probe) get the Guru. If you want complex (unlimited probes, web access) get the Stoker.

I ended up going with the stoker for the web access. So far it's been great. Been very happy with it. But I don't think you could go wrong with either unit.

Both are great units but me being techno challenged I went with the guru.

I was sure I was going to purchase the cyberq II but ended up buying the stoker instead and couldn't be happier. With the addition of a wireless bridge and Amirs stokerlog I can start the fire and control the rest of the cook from the comfort of my home. It sends emails keeping me updated if I have to leave and is software upgradable. The fact that you can run multiple food probes on 1 pit is a huge plus. The only thing I don't like is the adapters. I'm considering switching to a BBQ guru adapter for ease of installation and removal of the blower.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I can't give advise but can tell you that I'm probably going to buy the Guru chiefly because it is simple to work.

Just ordered my Stoker this morning. Now lets see how long it takes to get here:doh:
Spoke to Kevin on the phone from Rock's BBQ and he tells me they are waiting on boards right now. Not good already.

Ron

I have a Guru on a stumps clone. It is super easy to use, it remembers the temp you were at before so I just plug it in and don't touch it. I've never seen it deviate from the set temp unless the door is open.

To HS. The stoker is worth the wait. When I ordered mine they were short on power adapters. The shipment came in a few days later and they sent it out the same day. Two days later it arrived. Be patient (I know its hard)!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I also went with the Stoker, love the alarms sent to my Iphone.
I can sleep well at night knowing if the BGE drops above the alarm temp, or the meat gets close to being done I will get an alarm and go handle it.

I also used it on the WSM and it worked perfect.

Stoker here ... I think people get confused when you talk about simplicity. If you use the stoker in the same matter that you use the guru ... they are both simple to use.

The stoker gets complicated when you begin to use the web access. Which is a problem with network/internet not the use of the stoker.

I do agree with others in that you can not go wrong with either unit. Both good products.

I run 2 Backwoods (a Competitor & Pro Jr.) at the Hut with Gurus. They work great & the Backwoods adapter is a breeze to install. Have considered the Stoker but as I started with Gurus I decided to stick with them when I opened the Hut.

I've got a BW Competitor, and I went with the Guru for its simplicity. I've been using it for four years now and it hasn't skipped a beat. I just purchased the Guru DigiQ just because I really like the LED readout. Love it!

Go to www.youtube.com/user/popdaddysbbq and look up my stoker test series of videos. This will show how durable the stoker system is (if there are mods made) in a large stick burner. There are even some stupid tests as well.

Back