MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)
Default Cooking with the Master: Southern-style Chicken, Episode X

What follows is the transcript of “Cooking with the Master: Southern-style Chicken, Episode X”

Master: Ladies, Gentlemen, Gooood Eeeeevening! And welcome to "Cooking with the Master," a show about cooking. I ... am the Master! Joined by sous chefs Gore and Ninja Squirrel, I will demonstrate revolutionary advances in BBQ Science. The topic of this week’s show is a Southern Classic, Fried Chicken…

[Audience gasps]

I (Gore): Master, please!

I’m sorry, you see on this website “Fried” anything can be a controversial subject. Some people feel that fried food is not BBQ’ed…

[Audience boos and some hecklers shout “That’s right!”]

Others think it is every bit as BBQ’ed as slow-smoked ribs. It just so happens that on this 10th episode, I’ve asked a few of our Brethren to stop by and give their opinions on the subject. Gore, flip the switch on the Sous Transmorgraphier.

I (Gore): Yes, Master! [Sparks and flames]

Narrator: Why it’s Smokey Al Gold, Guerry, and Bigabyte!

[Audience claps and cheers]

Greetings, I asked you to come here to help the audience understand the complex inter-relationship of BBQ and fried food.

Bigabyte: Did I really hear you say that some people don’t like boiled ribs?

Al: What about eggplant? Can you boil that?

Guerry: Only if you want soup.

Al: I fried a burger once, but it wasn’t made with eggplant, ... or beef.

Bigabyte: I know they fry donuts, and they’re definitely BBQ.

Guerry: One of our biggest advertisers apparently.

I (Gore): Master?

Let’s give a big hand to Smokey Al Gold, Guerry, and Bigabyte!

[Audience applauds wildly as the three guests leave in a puff of blue smoke]

Now, where were we? Yes, we were discussing fried chicken.

I (Gore): Master, even if it is cooked on the pit, the smoke particles cannot penetrate the oil to get to the food.

Of course Gore, but the oil particles only need to settle on the top and when the food is removed from the oil, it is coated, much like liquid smoke.

[Some screams from the audience]

I (Gore): Careful Master, that is a heresy here.

True, but it is also true that many more people use liquid smoke than have smokers. We want to be inclusive and open-minded.

[more murmurs]

I (Gore): But doesn’t the process of submerging food in liquid seem counter to BBQ?

Ahhh, but people have been prepping meat for the fire by boiling for centuries. It is only recently that it is considered taboo. You should read some of Donnie’s posts on the subject.

[The audience is getting ugly now and a few are pulling out torches and pitchforks from their purses and coat pockets]

Excuse me!... While this episode is about fried chicken, I want you all to know that I will not, in fact, be frying any chicken. I want to demonstrate that we can simulate the making of fried chicken in the smoker without using the hot-oil crutch.

[Audience is completely quiet and then bursts into applause]

This will be a hot cook, so Gore will bring the Oval up to 425* to 450* and we will be cooking indirectly.

I (Gore): Yes, Master! [departs]

Now, Ninja Squirrel has assembled the ingredients:

While many people soak their chicken in buttermilk to make it tender and juicy, this is completely unnecessary in this case. We begin by whisking an egg and milk in a bowl. To this we slowly add our dry ingredients, which include flour, about ¼ tsp. of baking powder to help the batter stick to the chicken, and seasoning to taste. I choose a healthy dose of salt, pepper and parsley flakes. We add flour and milk to make this almost pasty. And no, I don’t measure!

I then dust the chicken with flour and then coat in the batter:

Finally, I dunk each piece in a bowl of melted butter! Gore will place these on the grill and cook until the batter is a golden brown, about 30-40 minutes, depending on your taste. Don’t worry about the chicken. It can be well above 165 and it’ll still be moist and juicy.

I can see that Ninja Squirrel has some ready to try

Now that looks like fried chicken, but the taste is a bit richer in this case because it was cooked in butter instead of oil.

Also, you will find the skin is completely bite-through and it remains moist inside, even though this piece was brought up to nearly 200*:

[Audience ooos and ahhhs]

Narrator: This episode of “Cooking with the Master” was brought to you by the BBQ Brethren Throwdown sub-forum found at the top of Q-talk or at
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86
Please join us every week to enter and/or vote for your favorite entry. There are lots of great dishes described in the entry threads. The recipes and views expressed on “Cooking with the Master” do not necessarily represent those of the BBQ Brethren, Gore, Q-Talk, or Ninja Squirrel.

I (Gore): That’s a wrap!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

I think anything cooked while wearing a foil hat might be considered BBQ by some!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

You sure a ugly bunch but that chicken sure does look good.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

That chicken does look great Mon! Butter though, I'll be dipped, good idea.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

yes, I will be making this.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Narrator: Why it’s Smokey Al Gold, Guerry, and Bigabyte!

[Audience claps and cheers]

Greetings, I asked you to come here to help the audience understand the complex inter-relationship of BBQ and fried food.

Bigabyte: Did I really hear you say that some people don’t like boiled ribs?

Al: What about eggplant? Can you boil that?

Guerry: Only if you want soup.

Al: I fried a burger once, but it wasn’t made with eggplant, ... or beef.

Bigabyte: I know they fry donuts, and they’re definitely BBQ.

Guerry: One of our biggest advertisers apparently.

I (Gore): Master?

Let’s give a big hand to Smokey Al Gold, Guerry, and Bigabyte!

[Audience applauds wildly as the three guests leave in a puff of blue smoke]
Some of your best writing work that I have read.

Now, as for that chicken, brilliant!

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
bigabyte

That really does look fried, and yes, I too will be trying this! I'm still disappointed by the lack of donuts, so it's going to be tough to vote for this one.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Very nice looking Chicken, and it sounds very tasty too.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:12 AM   #9
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Excellent looking chicken! I will allow you several minutes to produce my sample of said product for proper testing.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
Phubar

If we meet again I want you to make this!
Man...I love your episodes!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
That really does look fried, and yes, I too will be trying this! I'm still disappointed by the lack of donuts, so it's going to be tough to vote for this one.
I'd agree it really does look fried, but it's not! Battered, then dipped in butter, then on the grill. You could even skip the butter step, but the butter makes it a bit crispier -- and it tastes nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
If we meet again I want you to make this!
Man...I love your episodes!
Glad you enjoyed it. I think you should try this with croquettes and use a much thicker batter. Personally, I can't stand those things, but they're like the National food over there. I bet you could impress a lot of people if you made them on the grill. And Phoeb, I'll be seeing you in Sicily next September. Guess you should bring your grill.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
Phubar

If a can't bring the WGA with me I will bring a chimney,briqs and a Smokey Joe grate!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
Jay Bird
is one Smokin' Farker

Finally a fried chicken that isn't fried. Momma doesn't much go for fried stuff. This has the making's of an excellent meal.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

That is so brilliant that I am speechless. Maybe we will get fewer deep fried entries now over in Throwdowns that have no grilled or smoked elements...

Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Everyday I tell my wife that The BBQ Brethren have the largest collection of BBQ geniuses I've ever run across. Everyday I find something here that amazes me to no end.

This recipe is beyond genius and is going into my collection.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Tags
Cooking with the Master