MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
RamHemiTX
On the road to being a farker

Default First lump smoke, temps high

I always seem to experiment when I shouldn't. I am using RO lump for the first time in my UDS at our Cub Scout campout. I opened the ball valve all the way and closed my 3 other intakes like I do for KBB when the temp hit 225. The drum usually gets up to 240 and cruises all day. So I loaded the meat and walked away to start the campfire. When I came back over ot had jumped to 300. So now the ball valve is almost closed and she does not want to go under 270. Has anyone else had this experience with lump in a UDS? Does lump just burn that much hotter?

I am keeping a close watch and I will get it under control. I had just hoped to start it and then go back to sleep before all 80 screaming kids got up this morning.
RamHemiTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Yes, lump burns hotter and faster than briquettes.
I've only used it a few times, so no expert, but had similar experiences.
Try this too http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpfaq.htm
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

Gotta pack the lump in your fire basket really tight. Can't just pour it from the bag and lite it. Gotta arrange the pieces to minimize air gaps.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes lump burns hotter. I use magnets to cover my holes and sometimes I only have one opened less than 1/4 to keep it at 250* Once you get the hang of lump it works great. I usually just dump it in and don't have to many issues, maybe after 6-8 hrs might have to shake the drum so the lump packs tighter. Sometimes I just open the vent a little more and it brings the temp up also.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
BBQ Grail

Every UDS is different. No matter what technique I used I could never get lump to burn right in mine. It just didn't matter what I did. So I juse Kingsford exclusively in mine.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
Jorge

If you have a pan you can fill with water, and place it on a rack over the fire that should help you control the temp a little.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
kcchiefdav
On the road to being a farker

I only use lump in my UDS. I love it. However, I had similar problems to you the first time I used it. Now I just never ever have more than 1.5 of my 3/4 in pipes opened at once. That way the temp never spikes up on me.
kcchiefdav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
caseydog

I have had good results with lump for grilling, but have a hard time smoking with it. The uniform size of briquettes seems to make it easier to get consistent heat.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Rock's Barbeque has a good youtube video that demonstrates how to set up a 22" WSM for using lump with a stocker. The concept is still the same, in that it shows how lump should be set up for a smoker. You have to take a few minutes to make sure it's packed in evenly without large gaps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5_r8...layer_embedded
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

I use RO lump on my UDS. I fill the basket with limp and some smoke chunks. I use a weed burner to light part of the top just so the edges of some of the lump is red.
My inlet is a 2" pipe ( no bend over mod) I start fully open then clise halfway when the temp is about 150.

I gradually close as the temp rises and it will hold the set point for hours.

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote