Observation on facebook

Not much choice of containers out there that are as readily available as a 9 x9 box. Yes, there are probably some nice things on the market but they have to be able to hold up to heat, weight, be disposable, etc. We eat out a lot and I haven't seen much alternative for to go boxes. Maybe a good idea for KCBSs R&D to work with a vendor on such a thing.

But on the flip side of this conversation. The chemicals they use to make recyclable products is worse on the environment then the turn in boxes will be.

PNWBA uses green boxes. Not sure what the material used is but personally I like them better then the KCBS styro boxes. The sides are straighter and they are much more durable. Maybe swamperb knows where they get them if not I can try to find out if anyones interested.

Styro-foam is a registered trademark of Dow Chemical. The actual material is extruded #6 plastic polystyrene. And it can be recycled.

The problem is there is no money to be made in recycling this product so those recycling facilities that accept it are only doing it as a benefit to the environment. With a 1,000 life span it's going to be around awhile.

One alternative would be to require comp organizers to ship their used styrofoam to one of the recycling centers that accept this material through the mail. Maybe not the best solution, but it's a solution.

Another alternative would be to require them to spray the containers with Lemonine. This naturally made citrus product will shrink styrofoam to 1/20th of it's original size. This process would at least take up less space during the 1,000 years it sits in the landfill.

There is also a box of the same dimensions made out of sugar cane that biodegrades in 120 days when used.

Thank you, Yak for bringing this issue up.

Wow...I knew styrofoam was bad, but it never occurred to me that we were adding to the problem with a significant amount just through competitions.

Thanks for bring it up. However the 9x9s are easily accessible in every city and cost effective. Is there an alternative product from the Sams/Costco/Walmart/Restaurant Depot type company that is ready available, environmentally friendly and cost effective?

Sounds like a good position for a Board candidate to take and create a solution for.

I like the stryo products that they make out of potato starches and paper, great strength and totaly bio degradable

Not to say that we shouldn't look out for the environment, but I'm gonna say that if you compressed all of those 52,000 boxes into a single block, that it would not seem like nearly as much poly styrene. If it were all incinerated, I'm betting the combined pollution from all of it wouldn't even come close to equaling all of the lighter fluid and Kingsford blue bag that is burned in a year. Not to mention all the cheap off brand charcoal that is made from God knows what.

Again not to sound like I don't care because I do. If more environmentally friendly containers are available then by all means lets use em. But if they aren't cost effective then lets not forget that most cookoffs benefit a charity of some kind and we wouldn't want to cut into that. Haha not that likely though. They would probably just raise the entry fees ;D

My first thought was the additional costs involved to address this
disaster. Then, I slapped myself! This is totally stupid.
Compressed or compacted, the 52,000 containers wouldn't make a bale measuring more than
2.875 square feet!

I have more important things to worry about than crap like this.:shocked:

Not to say that we shouldn't look out for the environment, but I'm gonna say that if you compressed all of those 52,000 boxes into a single block, that it would not seem like nearly as much poly styrene. If it were all incinerated, I'm betting the combined pollution from all of it wouldn't even come close to equaling all of the lighter fluid and Kingsford blue bag that is burned in a year. Not to mention all the cheap off brand charcoal that is made from God knows what.

Again not to sound like I don't care because I do. If more environmentally friendly containers are available then by all means lets use em. But if they aren't cost effective then lets not forget that most cookoffs benefit a charity of some kind and we wouldn't want to cut into that. Haha not that likely though. They would probably just raise the entry fees ;D

G.E.T Enterprises in Houston offers a 9x9 recyclaboe/reusable to go container. They are a bit expensive but you can reuse them over and over. They come in a variety of colors and options. Seems like they were around $3.00 each
They are stackable, dishwasher safe, break resistant, mocrowaveable, etc...

If i decide to use these, will you wash them?
I didn't think so.

We used an eco-friendly box at a contest. While we liked the dimensions and stability, the material seemed to absorb moisture from the product to the point that the organizer let us line it with foil- which kind of defeated the purpose of the box.

If i decide to use these, will you wash them?
I didn't think so.

The mechanics could be worked out. All new ideas or systems require everyone working together to resolve and come up with solutions. To many people want to sit back, point out what is wrong but fail to assist in coming up with solutions. My philosophy is there is never an absolute and given enough time and thought any problem can be resolved.

Assuming you follow the local HD rules and have a wash, rinse and sanitize station then how hard is it or how long would it take? :boxing:

Just saying :tsk:

why not switch to those tinfoil to go containers that are easily obtainable and redily recyclable. i wonder how many of those styrofoam containers are used for their intended purpose during the same time period though.

The BBQ comp at the Norwalk Oyster Festival in Norwalk CT used green enviro-friendly containers. I thought they were fine.

Styro-foam is a registered trademark of Dow Chemical. The actual material is extruded #6 plastic polystyrene. And it can be recycled.

The problem is there is no money to be made in recycling this product so those recycling facilities that accept it are only doing it as a benefit to the environment. With a 1,000 life span it's going to be around awhile.

One alternative would be to require comp organizers to ship their used styrofoam to one of the recycling centers that accept this material through the mail. Maybe not the best solution, but it's a solution.

Another alternative would be to require them to spray the containers with Lemonine. This naturally made citrus product will shrink styrofoam to 1/20th of it's original size. This process would at least take up less space during the 1,000 years it sits in the landfill.

There is also a box of the same dimensions made out of sugar cane that biodegrades in 120 days when used.

Thank you, Yak for bringing this issue up.

I would like to see where I can get a bottle of that Lemonine to spray on myself...

Seattle has banned styrofoam take out boxes and the PNWBA has started phasing in the biodegradable clam shell boxes. Hard to tell by the pic, but I kind of like them.

IMG_2559.jpg

I got to use a biodegradable PNWBA clam shell box this year and I really liked it as well. I don't see any reason why the KCBS could not use these as well. They were very durable. No absorption issues and just a really nice box with true sizing.

Back